Chapter 1

I hear a knock on my window. There's two people that could be. It could be Steve. He's my best friend and we've been friends since like 7th grade when Hopper adopted me. I hate the people he's friends with, so I try not to hang out with him when they're around. Or it could be Eddie. We started dating at the beginning of senior year.

Eddie's older than me though because he's repeating senior year this year.  I finally stand up and open the window and standing there is Eddie. "Took you long enough." I chuckle as I open it wide enough for him to fit through. "No apology?" I roll my eyes. "I'm sorry Eddie the great. Will you ever be able to forgive me?"

He looks at me as if contemplating. "I guess you are forgiven." He lies down beside me. "So, what interesting things have been going on in your life?" I chuckle. "My life is very uninteresting. My only friend is Steve Harrington but his friends don't like me so I hang out with no one." "You could hang out with me."

I look at him. "If my dad found out about us, you would never be able to see me again. My dad thinks you're trouble." Eddie chuckles. "Does he think I would corrupt his perfect little girl?" "Oh, shut it." Suddenly I hear the door open downstairs. "Val, are you here?" "Shit, you've gotta go." Eddie's eyes widen. He kisses me before jumping out my window.

Dad opens my door just as I get the window shut. "What are you doing?" I shrug. "Nothing." "Why are you standing by the window?" "I was looking outside. Some critters move around at this time of night." Dad nods. "Alright, good night Val." "Good night, dad." He leaves my room and I breathe a sigh of relief. That was close. 

The next morning, I wake Dad up before I leave cause he's gotta go to work. When I get there, I can't find Steve anywhere which means he's probably somewhere making out with Nancy. Finally when he walks into class, I look at him. "Have fun making out with Nancy Wheeler?" He chuckles. "So much fun. You should come next time."

I roll my eyes. He's so annoying, I can't even deal with him. I can feel eyes on us and I turn to see Eddie. "Why is the freak looking at us like that?" I whack Steve. "Don't call him that. It's rude." "Who cares if it's rude?" I look back and barely suppress a groan at the sight of Tommy H. "Good to see you too, Val."

I ignore him of course because I despise him. Tommy H and Carol are nightmares. I will never understand why Steve is friends with them. He claims they're cool but they're the furthest thing from cool that anyone could be. Later that afternoon news of Will Byers going missing is circling around. I feel bad. He's just a kid. I hope he's safe and not being held hostage. I know what that feels like and it is not fun.