Happy Birthday

The scenery and situations in what I had come to call my blue tunnel dreams always changed, but those three people were always in them. I've had them too many times to think it was just you're average subconscious warnings, but I never bothered to talk to anyone about it. They were just dreams, right? Very realistic dreams but dreams nonetheless. Besides, who would believe me?

I sat on the living room sofa house playing a game on my portable game system. I was at the final boss level and losing... badly. My little stepbrother walked into the room. 

"Yo, sis. Mama Abbey says it's time for your birthday party."

I grunted. "Not now, Reece! Can't you see I'm busy?"

"How many times have you beaten that game?" He sounded a little angry with me.

I shrugged. "Four, but none of them were on the unknown level. This is really difficult. Ah, dammit! You're distracting me. I'm almost out of gels. Come on. First Aid! First Aid!"

He laughed. "Mama Abbey is gonna be mad you said dammit."

"And I prefer you not to copy her vulgar behavior." Mom turned the corner. I can only imagine the look of disapproval on her face because I wasn't about to take my eyes off my game for a second. "Cricket, honey, your family wants to celebrate your birthday with you."

"Yeah, yeah. In a minute. Oh, son of a...."

"Finish that sentence and I'll throw your game into the pool."

I cringed. "Sorry, but he's pulling these giant attacks and...crap! Come on, resurrect!"

She walked over to where I was sitting.

"Resurrect, dammit! Resurrect!"

She pulled the console from my hands and promptly closed it suspending the game.

"Hey! I was trying to save the world."

"You can save the world tomorrow. Right now it's time for family." She shot me with her blue-eyed stare of death.

I crossed my arms and mumbled. "It's my birthday. I should get to do whatever I want."

Her hand shot out of nowhere and connected with my mouth. "I've had just about enough of your sass, young lady."

It didn't hurt really, just a little sting. It surprised me more than anything. "Happy birthday to me, huh? Gee, thanks."

"Hey, Cricket," Deshawn Sweetwater, my stepfather, peeked in on us.  "You two aren't fighting again, are you?"

There were those who didn't approve of my blended family just because our skin tones didn't match. It's none of their business anyway. Love is love.

"What do you think?" I stood and walked toward him.

"Not because of me I hope."

I gave him a big hug. "Never."

I didn't like to give Mom a hard time. It just sort of happened. She wanted me to be some perfect little lady or something, always trying to force me into a mold I was never destined to fit. It upset me that she just couldn't accept me for me. She and I were nothing alike. My sister, Bridgette, was her clone, not me. I was more like my dad.

I rounded the corner into the kitchen. Reece was setting the table. Bridgette was brushing her hair.

I rolled my eyes. "If I find blonde hairs all in my pizza I'll be mad."

"Jealous much." She scoffed. "Just because you have the body of a twelve-year-old boy." She poked my head. "Seriously, do you have any idea how many people I have to tell that you're a girl?"