Escape

I rode with Lorne north out of Aldavia still wrapped like a mummy in the blanket. As if riding on a normal-sized horse wasn't scary enough, now let's ride on one much, much bigger. I wasn't exactly sure what happened, but it was quite obvious that Weller was no longer in charge of me, and judging from the look on his face, he hated every moment of it.

Our party rode quickly during the night. Silver on a white mare—a color I didn't think would be good for night espionage but whatever. Aaron rode the same black steed I met him on and carried Quinton behind him. We weren't moving at top speed but we were going at a good pace trying to put as much distance between me and the king as possible. I felt so stupid for falling into such a situation with him. One momentary lapse in judgment and I had instigated some sort of romantic ritual or something. I wanted to blame myself, but something inside me said that he would've tried to force himself on me whether I called him by name or not. That something was most likely Lorne.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"To my homeland."

"Then what?"

"Then we find a way to get you to The Oracle."

"So you still want me to complete the regeneration?"

"That is the reason you are here."

"And after that?"

"You would have saved the realm. What more do you need?"

"To go home."

"If that is your wish, then you will be free to go home."

"But doesn't the king want me? Won't he be angry with you?"

"If you do not want the king, then he shall not have you, simple as that."

"But won't he punish you or something?"

Lorne chuckled. "You need not worry about that man, Cricket. The only thing he could do to punish me would be to harm you."

I smiled a bit but felt bad. These men were bonded to me and would do anything they could to protect me even at the risk of their lives. I wondered if it was truly what they wanted or if this bonding made them act in such a way.

Lorne noticed my sad expression. "What troubles you?"

"Aaron...er, Jor Breen."

"Jor indeed." Lorne scoffed. "Do you not trust him?"

"I can read his every emotion. I know when I can or can't trust him. It's just that...well, before I was bonded with him he wanted to kill me, and now he's riding at my side willing to die to protect me. How could that drastic of a change even be possible? Am I manipulating all of you somehow?"

Lorne smiled. "Yes and no."

"That doesn't help me understand," I grumbled.

He laughed. "In a way, you are manipulating us, but we are allowing you to do so."

"I still don't get it."

"We bond with you voluntarily. If you did not trust us to take care of you, the bond would never happen, and likewise if we did not trust you."

"So some part of me trusted Jor Breen?"

Lorne grumbled. "So it would seem. During the connection, the power of your little heart looks directly into ours and judges our worth. In return for our protection, you give us love, and your love can bend us to your will."

"That makes absolutely no sense."

He laughed louder than before. It had to be my favorite sound in this world. When he laughed like that, it made me feel at ease because I knew things were going fine.