2nd story: Part 2

"Okay, he should be awake in- one- two- three-" the doctor continued counting, not keeping his eye off Thomas's unconscious body and the machinery by his side.

A waterfall of tears were pouring out of Ms Evans, who was leaning over her son. She was unwell, sweaty and pale. Her physical and mental state had completely changed when her son had been involved in a terrible bike crash. Ever since then he's been in a coma.

"And... he should awake now," the doctor grinned, giving a gesture to Ms Evans that inferred she was able to speak to her son.

"Thomas! Are y-you ok-kay?" she stumbled to get words.

Thomas blinked and adjusted to the bright white light of the hospital room. He looked around, and with no effort, rolled his eyes.

"Where am I now, what dream is this?" he said naturally, standing up and simply pulling off the tubes that connected to his body.

Ms Evans reaction was not of the one she expected, "Thomas, are you alright? Do you need-"

"This is a pretty realistic dream. I'll give you some credit mind. Wow, the fact I was able to dream up a detailed hospital room is amazing."

The doctor exhaled some repressed stress, "Thomas you're not dreaming. You're awake now. You're awake."

"Awake? Oh okay I believe you," Thomas sarcastically told the doctor, "like how couldn't I believe you? You're definitely not my stupid brain that's been playing tricks on me for hours, days, months!"

"Tom, we need to chat," Ms Evans hand was on her sons shoulder. It was warm, loving and showed Thomas that this was real.

She guided her son to a small set of chairs by the side of the room, and they both sat down, "In 2019 you were involved in a biking accident, you remember? You were cycling to your friends house but unfortunately crashed into a joyrider who was driving in front of you."

Ms Evans sighed. It was more painful for her to tell the news than for Thomas to hear it.

"So, you were knocked unconscious.." she continued, "you almost died. Well, most of you did in fact. You were paralysed, you were stuck in a coma. Yet my whole world flipped around when this morning I found out you were alive, that you were going to awake!"

She showed her son some grim photographs took from the past year of him lying down in a hospital bed, scars stained all over his face.

Thomas's eyes widened. He couldn't believe it.
That was his body.
Whilst he was living in a nightmare, his physical body remained in the real world, in a coma.

"I... I thought I just fell asleep. I was dreaming, you see," Thomas looked vulnerable, scared. Not only was he shocked, he was afraid too.

"Huh," the doctor sneered, "you wouldn't have been dreaming. You were unconscious! You weren't even aware at all! It's scientifically impossible. The type of injury you suffered completely shut down most of your brain, including your subconscious. If you were dreaming, you'd be an anomaly."

"Well then I must be," Thomas was panicked, fast paced, "hey, where's dad?"

He sped to the door and was just about to open it until his mother stopped him, "Son you're gonna have to stay here for a bit. You're not ready to leave yet."

"Why?" Thomas walked towards Ms Evans, "what about dad? Where's he? If this 'awaking' of mine was supposed to be predicted and you came, then where's my father?"

Ms Evans was bewildered, "your father? Honey he's been dead for fourteen years."

Thomas moved away from his mother, "what? Dead? I don't believe you for a second. I-I s-saw him the other day - when I was awake!"