A Wine Not Mine

"So, when is the big day?" she asked

"Next Saturday," he said, clutching her cold, small hand in his.

"You can't come right?" Jake asked.

A bolt struck her heart.

She was never thrilled when she learned that Jake was getting married. She can schedule her trip after the wedding, but she better be off the country before that.

"Yeah, I will be in Riyadh by then," she said.

"Our branch couldn't keep up with the demand from our European clients." She added

"How long will you stay there?" His voice was slightly cracked.

"A year? Or maybe two. " She remarked,

"I don't know,"

"No vacation in between?" He knew how workaholic his ex-team leader was.

"I don't know. I really have to fix a lot of issues; the locals are a bit confused with the system. I might travel to Europe as well.

Jake looked at her hand, then stared at her.

"I'm holding you right now, but why am I missing you already?" He whispered

"Why do I feel this way?"

Audrey chuckled. She pulled her hand from his.

He reached for her. Closer. 

This time, he gazed into her eyes, as if asking for permission.

His lips slowly touched hers, like a fine wine being tasted for the first time.

She can't move. She can't stop him. No, she won't.

She stroked his face and their kiss becomes more passionate.

Jake's tears began to fall.

She felt a warm liquid coming down from his face. Audrey pulled back.

"Jake..."

"I love you..." he softly uttered, feeling his warm breath on his lips. Audrey looked into his eyes, she wanted to kiss him more but she can't.

He drew her once more and kissed her.

"Jake, please. Stop. This is wrong."

Jake stared at her.

"I don't know why I'm acting this way today. I never realized I felt this way about you."

"Jake, no... Maybe you're just stressed."

He droops his head, unsure of how he feels.

Jake used to be the youngest in their team, and since Jake was the only male trainee back then, he and Audrey created a special bond. He frequently accompanied her on customer meetings but rather than a colleague, Audrey spoke to him more like her younger brother.

She reached for him and kissed him on the forehead.

"I'm leaving Sunday." She said

"I'll miss you," he said.

A strange sound.

"They're here," Audrey exclaimed.

The operator calls out: "Hello, ma'am! Are you okay? "

"Yeah, we are," Audrey responded.

She was glad the CCTV was off.

"Please stay away from the door, this won't be long," another guy said.

The door opened in less than 2 minutes, and they were pulled out of the 5th floor.

The cold breeze welcomed them; it felt different after that heated moment with Jake.

"Are you okay, mam?" The operator wanted to make sure they weren't feeling anything wrong.

"Yeah, we're good," Jake said.

"Thanks a lot!" He reached for his hand and shook it.

"We're replacing the old lifts by the end of the month." The man said

"This is very unfortunate. We're sorry about that. "

"It's okay,"

"Thank you, Mr. Rey," Audrey said.

"Oh, you remember my name!" Mr. Rey, in his 60's, has a big body built and a cheerful face.

"Rest for a bit, let me know if you're feeling dizzy or what." He is obviously concerned about them.

"No need, we're fine," Audrey assured him.

"Good! So, I guess we have to go now and make a report," Mr. Rey said,"

"Yeah, thanks again, Mr. Rey!" Jake and Audrey waved him goodbye.