13. Getting Ready for a Date

Sunday morning rolled around, and nearly rolled past by the time I got out of bed. Sleeping late on the weekend has always been one of my guilty pleasures. I was just scratching around in the kitchen for some breakfast, when I heard the doorbell ring.

Mr Jones walked into the kitchen a few moments later followed by Jay with his partner, Maria. Jay raised his eyebrows when he saw me sitting at the counter still wearing my pyjamas.

"Have you just woken up?" he asked.

I shrugged. "It's Sunday."

Jay just shook his head at me. "Right. Well anyway, I brought around the stuff we talked about yesterday," he said. "And Maria is here to show you how to use it."

"Yeah, you will understand when I show you," Maria added.

"Okay," I said. "So what do I need to do?"

"We should go upstairs to your room," said Maria.

"Yeah, I'll wait down here," said Jay, as he turned to speak to Mr Jones. "If that's okay?"

"That's fine," said Mr Jones. "I was just going to brew some coffee, if you would like a cup?"

"Sounds good," said Jay.

I got up from where I was sitting and grabbed a packet of Pop Tarts from the side. Then I headed out the kitchen and up the stairs to my bedroom. Maria took a bag that Jay had been carrying, then followed me up the stairs.

When I got to my room, I tore open the packet of Pop Tarts and flopped down on my bed. Maria walked over to the dressing table in the corner and sat down on the stool.

Maria took a small card out from her pocket, and tossed it over to me. "Here. The ID you asked for," she said.

I wasn't quick enough to catch it, but I picked up the card from where it landed on the bed. Then I turned it over to have a proper look. It was a driver's license with my photo on. Most of the other details were correct, but the name said Olivia Jones, and the date of birth was three years earlier.

"Cool," I said, as I placed the card on the side next to my phone.

Then Maria opened up the bag and pulled out some kind of small white tube. It was about the size of a tube of lipstick, and it had a short wire dangling from it.

"This is the covert recording device," she said. "It connects to the computer on this end, and the microphone is in this little black clip on the end of the wire."

"Okay," I said, as Maria passed it over to me.

"It's designed to fit inside your bra," said Maria. "Then the mic clips on to one of the straps, near your collarbone."

I turned it over and inspected the device carefully, even though I didn't really know what I was looking for.

"I can show you how to clip it in place, if you want?" Maria asked.

"Oh, well, I'm not wearing a bra at the moment," I said.

Maria sighed. "Yeah, I figured," she said. "You want to maybe put one on?"

"Oh right, yeah," I said. "Umm, do you want to turn around or something while I get some clothes on?"

Maria nodded, then turned around to face the wall. When she wasn't looking, I quickly took off my pyjama top. Then I grabbed a clean bra out of the drawer.

"Okay," I said, once I had put it on.

Maria turned back around, then stood up and walked over to me. She picked up the little tube with one hand, and with the other, she pulled my bra down slightly and slipped it inside. Then she pulled the wire through, over my breast and clipped it to the strap on the right, just below my shoulder. When she was finished, I could feel a hard little lump poking into my chest, but it wasn't too uncomfortable.