15

York held up his right fist as the group reached the clearing that had been made for the Truth and Liberty to dock. There was a gravity lift leading into the stomach of the massive ship. Even as they watched, a team consisting of an elite, two jackals and five grunts headed floated down from the lift and set off towards the North.

"Roger that... Sync. York out." York said into his radio as James took his eyes off the ship. "Alright. James, Will, on me. Alex, Daniel, stay to our left. Aiden and Caleb, cover our right. Georgie, cover our six. I'm uploading the primary objective to your HUD as a NAV point. Secondary objective is to kill as many of these squidheads as possible. We move on my mark. Sync?" York asked, slinging his shotgun over one shoulder.

As the team replied in hushed tones, York checked how much time was left until they moved in on the ship. 15s, his helmet read as the countdown ticked.

"Mark" York said when the countdown reached 0.5s, and the timer pinged as the group galvanised into action. York, James and will charged ahead and James knew that the others would cover him. James raised one needler and fired a spray of pink needles towards a grouping of three elites, one zealot, a major and a minor.

York blasted a jackal out of his way with his shotgun, following up with a boot to it's back before the stock of the gun was rammed through his skull. There was an explosion of pink as the needles found their mark. The needles make a massive explosion when there's heaps of them, James realised. He observed a grunt shove some sort of package into a hole in the needler and shake it. More needles popped out the holes.

Will saw it too. He put his shotgun on his back after popping an elite minor, pulled his pistols out and shot the grunt in the head. "Free refills James, isn't our host generous?" Will said sarcastically, blasting a jackal's brains out.

"Firing line! Now!" York yelled as he dropped to one knee, dropped his shotgun and yanked his pistols out. The rest of the squad didn't hesitate to follow the order.

In front of them, like some sort of riot squad, stood a long line of jackals. They had their shields up, and behind them there was a grotesque line of elites wielding energy swords. "Son of a bitch." York stated plainly as the jackals took on a concave line and started moving towards them.

James realised he was kneeling on some sort of squishy thing, looked down and saw that he was kneeling on a grunt's head. There were a few more grunts being knelt on by York team and they all had needlers. James took the chance to switch his depleted needler with a fresh one. "Put those away, they'll just bounce off. Take my shotgun." York said as he reached behind him and passed the weapon to James. "Get ready to retreat. move backwards as fast as they move forwards."