v . 𝐀 𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐓𝐘 𝐁𝐎𝐀𝐓

SONGS ━ ✭

❝ then a real monster
showed up. and i ran
away ❝
—vi, arcane league of legends

 and i ranaway ❝—vi, arcane league of legends

‿︵‿︵‿୨୧‿︵‿︵‿

I WAS pretty sure that this boat guy was still smiling at me in a forced, oily manner that made it feel as if scarabs were running upon my skin. Actually, I'd never really had an encounter with a scarab, but considering the pictures I'd seen of them, having a shit-ton of them running along you could not feel comfortable.

I wasn't sure why he was smiling at me in that way that seemed more malicious, rather than friendly, although I was assuming it had something to do with the If you aren't able to handle the heat, then you're screwed once you begin working with the Fatui comment the man had made.

Which was a bit...ominous, to put it mildly. The closer the boat came to the shores of Inazuma, and the louder the buzzing of whatever engine was powering the damned thing, the more I was losing my mind. And becoming scared shitless.

If I died because I took some random well-paying job offer in a place that required me to move halfway across Tevyat, I was going to literally burst out into tears.

Impending death, here I come. I guess.

I'd assumed that I would've been grouped with the others on a single boat once we arrived on the shores of Liyue. Of course whoever these Fatui characters were had a bunch of Mora, so we were each given our own boat—and our own insufferable steersman who just needed to comment on every move we made. Well, at least that's what the guy manning the small creaky boat I was currently lounging in was doing.

From the time we'd gotten on the boat, though, I'd responded to his annoying-ass remarks with questions of my own—most of which he hadn't been bothered to answer.

For example, I asked him what the Fatui did, but he simply shrugged indifferently, and continued with his second-rate insults. The guy must have been a pretty bitter person, although his jibes weren't even that good. They were honestly pretty easy to deflect, which made the boat ride more entertaining. A bit more entertaining.

Still extremely not enjoyable, though.

He for sure knew something about the Fatui—he had to. Or, at least, he had some information regarding them. And I really didn't care whether the information he'd gained was from these Fatui  people telling him, or if it was intel he'd gathered from eavesdropping.

Considering I was about to work for the Fatui—or, at least, try to—I needed some information. Just a sliver. Anything.

Man, this guy was actually going to start pissing me off. This boat wasn't operated manually, right? Because I was pretty tempted to push the man out of the thing, and figure out how to get to Inazuma on my own.