Chapter 50

I refuse to let Cheryl come to the airport with me. It's going to be hard enough without swarms of paps following us and taking photos. Sarah is waiting patiently for me outside the flat in her car; she wouldn't take no for an answer and is taking me to the airport herself.

I stand with my arms around Cheryl, my eyes closed tightly. We promised each other we wouldn't cry, that there's no need, that it's silly.

'I can come and see you in eight days.' Cheryl says over my shoulder. 'Then I have to come back for a couple of performances and stuff... Then I can fly out again after about another ten days... then after that...'

'We'll take each day as it comes.' I say gently. 'It's ok, Chez. You don't have to jump on a plane every single time you've got a free couple of days.'

'I know I don't have to but I want to and I will.' She insists. Her voice is shaking.

'Don't you dare cry.' I warn, stroking her hair.

'I'm not.' She whispers.

'You remember how to use Skype don't you?'

'Yes, Kimba, I think I've got it.' She giggles.

We haven't let go of each other for ages now, but I don't want to. Cheryl slowly starts to pull away, and cups my face in her hands. 'I've got something for you.'

'What?'

'Wait here, ok?'

'Cheryl...'

She winks and skips into the bedroom, emerging seconds later with a brown envelope, folded around a square shape. She hands it to me and, puzzled, I turn it over, then shake it.

Cheryl giggles. 'It's not gonna make a noise babe. Not yet anyway.'

'I don't get it.'

'It's me album.' Cheryl smiles. 'Finished. Thought I'd give the first copy to you.'

'Oh my God, really?! You finished it?!'

'Aye... it's being released in about two weeks, but I wanted you to hear it first. Just have some headphones on when you play it, yeah?' she adds.

'Thank you!' I practically squeal, hugging her again.

I hear her breathe in deeply and let out a long sigh. 'I miss you already.' She whispers.

'Me too... I'm gonna have to go babe.' I say regretfully. I feel Cheryl nod and we break apart again. She had tears in her eyes now, and I know I do too.

'We promised we wouldn't cry.' Cheryl laughs shakily.

'Yeah we did.'

'I love you.'

I take her face in my hands, the same way she did moments ago. 'Close your eyes.'

Cheryl does as I ask, two small tears escaping as her eyes close. I kiss them away, then place my lips on hers. Our tongues dance together for several minutes, until the message tone on my phone interrupts the moment.

'That'll be Sarah, telling you to get a shift on.' Cheryl murmurs.

'Yeah... I better go.'

'Text us when you get there, be safe ok? Take care of yourself.'

'I'll be fine, Chez... I love you.'

'You too.' She smiles.

She watches as I slip the CD into my carry-on bag. I smile bravely at her as I slowly close the door behind me, and she smiles back just the same. Once the door is closed I practically run out to Sarah's car.