Chapter 54

I sit in the car outside the building for a long time, getting more and more worked up by the minute.

I can just picture her in there, like nothing has happened, like it's any other ordinary day.

I get out of the car and take about two steps forward before I freeze.

Sarah is stood there, leaning against the wall of the building, her arms folded, as casually as if she does it every day. She smirks as she studies me.

'What are you doing here?!' I ask, shocked.

'I could ask you the same thing.'

'What?'

'Cheryl called me and said you'd walked out, but said you'd mentioned coming to mine. It doesn't take long to drive to mine from yours, so when you didn't show up after half an hour I guessed where you'd be going and thought I'd come and join you.'

'...Wow Sarah, you should've been a detective.'

'Very funny.'

'How did you even know I'd come here?!'

'I dunno. Call it a lucky guess. Or maybe you and I are actually quite alike, because I put myself in your head and thought I'd quite like to fcuk that b*tch up myself.'

Sarah sighs, giving me a sympathetic smile. 'But as much as I'd like to see that, you've worked too long and too hard to let it all go to waste on her. She isn't worth it honey.'

We stare each other out for a long time.

'You're right... I know, you're right.'

'I am, so let's get out of here ok? Go for a walk then home.'

'...In a minute. I need to get my stuff.'

'What stuff?'

'Everything I've worked on since I got here. I'm leaving. Quitting, whatever. But they're not having my designs.'

'Seriously?!'

'Yes, seriously. I never want to risk seeing her ever again, I don't know what I'd do.'

'But what if she's in there now?' Sarah says, stopping me as I go to walk inside.

'Oh, she is.' I say darkly. 'I can just picture her... sat there bold as brass, like nothing ever happened...'

No sooner do I say this, then the doors behind Sarah swing open and there she is.

Sarah turns round as my eyes fixate on movement behind her, and we watch as Kate is walked out of the building by an officer.

She stops walking when she sees me. She has the good grace to look a bit scared.

'What do you want here?'

Sarah grasps my shoulder. 'Leave it honey, please.' She whispers.

'Nothing darling, but this is quite satisfying, so keep walking yeah?' I spit.

Kate shrugs away from the officer escorting her to his car.

'That b*tch deserved what she got! She led me on for weeks. She was asking for it. You're just sore because I was there for her when you weren't. You were too fcuked up, weren't you, Kimberley?'

Sarah stands in front of me, grasping both my arms as I step forward, and the officer does the same with Kate, holding her back.

'You're fcuking SICK! You were raping her!!' I scream.

'Kimberley, stop it! Walk away. Please, I've not got the strength for this honey, walk away.'

Kate stands there, a twisted smile on her face, like she's waiting.