¹⁰ | The one where we get cliché

ɢᴜʏ ɢᴇʀᴍᴀɪɴᴇ

𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐀 𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄. It's just one of the many things that California is known for--making you a star and burning up. 1994 has been one of the driest years in almost two decades. It does not rain, and no one expects it to.

But on July 23, 1994, nearly a month and a half after landing, the sky opened up. The clouds were a charcoal gray and looked to be filled with pounds of rocks when we entered the rink for the final practice. When we left, they rumbled and rolled. They let the rain fall and hit the ground, collecting in puddles. Water raced down windows and splashed through the roads. On July 23, 1994, 12% of the national population stayed inside. 32 million people cried out in joy for the end of the drought.

California looked dead that day, but really, it had never been more alive. I think that's what California and I had in common. We were finally living again.

"Can you imagine moving out here--this place being your home forever?" Jesse asked from beside me as we rode the team bus back to the dorms.

I lifted my head off the cold glass. "No, it doesn't feel very homey to me," I said. "There are way too many problems out here, anyways. I don't think I could handle all the pollution and overpopulation. What about you?"

"I don't know. I think maybe for a few years, while I'm in my twenties, it'd be cool. There are a lot of opportunities, you know?" he shrugged. "But as soon as I'm married, I'm out. I want to live in a nice, quiet neighborhood when I'm old."

"Cake Eater style?"

"That's the dream," Jesse grins. "I think I'd like to coach something. Maybe baseball or hockey."

"How long are you gonna be sticking with hockey?"

"End of high school probably. I can't really see myself playing on a college or minor team. I love it now, but I'm not Adam. It's not my whole life."

"Do you know what you want to be when you grow up?" I questioned.

"I don't think ahead like you, Guy. You want to be a doctor, and you'll be one. Everyone knows it," he said. "I feel like I haven't found my thing yet, you know?"

"Well, there's still time. You'll figure it out."

"What's with the interrogation all of a sudden?"

"I just feel like we haven't talked a lot recently. I know it's my fault and I'm sorry. You're my friend, Jesse. My best friend, actually."

Jesse smiled at me and put a hand on my shoulder. "I've been told I'd make a pretty kick-ass lawyer."

Jesse Hall has never been a sentimental person. But just because he doesn't talk about feelings doesn't mean he doesn't understand them. It doesn't mean he doesn't care, because he does. If anything, Jesse cares more than anyone.

"You do like to argue," I commented. "And one could say that you're rather convincing."

"And hey, if you ever have a surgery go wrong and need someone to defend you, you'll know who to call."

I laughed and shook my head. "Yeah, and if your client ever needs a medical scan, you'll come to me."

"We'd make a good team, wouldn't we?"

"Yeah, Jess. We would."

He glanced back a few rows at Mae and Adam, the two whispering things to one another. "When are you gonna talk to her, man?"

"I don't know, but I'll do it soon," I answered, staring at their touching shoulders. "Do you think there's something going on between them?"

"Adam and Maeve?" Jesse clarified. "Charlie would probably know better than me."