Chapter One: Black Rose

Three men sat on a black sofa in a finished basement, staring at an unconscious blonde man sprawled across the carpeted floor a few feet in front of them.

Just. Total. Utter. Silence.

‘THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT, HE’S PROBABLY DEAD!” Ashton exploded, throwing a pillow at the blonde haired man next to him.

“I ALREADY TOLD YOU I JUST KNOCKED HIM UNCONSCIOUS AND BESIDES HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT THIS WEIRDO WOULD RUN A 24/7 BOOKSTORE” Michael yelled back, failing an arm at the man on the floor.

“NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND DOES A DRUG DEAL IN AN ALLEYWAY NEXT TO ANY STORE THAT SAYS “OPEN” IN BLUE NEON LIGHTING MICHAEL!”

“TACO BELL WAS DOWN THE STREET!”

“HOW CAN YOU FATHOM GETTING FOOD AFTER HAVING TO DEAL WITH DRUGS?!”

“I’M NOT A LOSER LIKE YOU-”

“ENOUGH!” Calum yelled, glaring at the both of them.

“I’m the failed nurse of the group and he’s not dead, he’ll just wake up with a really bad headache.” Calum huffed and stood up, walking over to the man on the floor and bending over to pull out a card he noticed in the shirt pocket.

“His name is Luke Hemmings, owner of the Saigon Bookstore" He read, nodding his head a little in an impressive manner.

“If he has a business card and everything this store must be popular”

“Onto more pressing manners, Della is gonna fucking shoot us the second she sees we dragged an innocent man into something that we’ve done a thousand times before!” Ashton hissed, biting at his nails nervously.

“More like she’ll kill you two because she told you two that she only keeps you around because she likes me and you’ve been my best friends since kindergarten” Calum gave them a sweet smile, pushing a cigarette between his lips.

“Not helping Hood” Michael huffed.

“Might wanna start writing your “things I want to do before I die” list in your notes app and text it to Della right this second” Calum sassed back, lighting the cigarette.

“Should we just kill him and then bury him next to Della’s rose bushes- ow!” Ashton yelped when Michael slapped him hard on the head

“The fuck!”

“We’ve been in her gang for eight years and you still haven’t learned to never mess with the rose bushes?! She loves them more than she loves her black coffee in the morning! Why else do you think our official gang name is Black Rose and we have a black rose tattoo on our wrists to flash when someone tries to mess with us! ”

“Besides Della ain't completely heartless, this angel hasn’t pissed her off yet” Calum gestured to Luke.

“So we just wait for him to piss her off and get himself killed?” Michael raised an eyebrow at him.

“Precisely”

“What a comedian you are Hood”

“I was considering either comedy or medicine back in high school” Calum winked

What none of them knew was that Luke would be around for a long time.

As if on cue, a low groan was heard from the floor, the blue eyed man opening his eyes and wincing at the the bright light

“Hey there Hemmings, and one of you idiots dim the lights” Calum jumped into nurse mode and immediately grabbed a pillow to place under Luke’s head to alleviate any pressure and then held four fingers in front of him.