I'm about 99% sure my first language wasn't English

I'm pretty sure my first language wasn't English.

Even through I only speak English and nothing else.

But here is my story of me trying to understand the English language as a kid.

In pre-k (that's a school where kids before the ages of 5 and 6 go to school and learn stuff if y'all didn't know) I failed English (or what you could call English).

It's not like I had a learning disability, no I could remember 43 presidents but I couldn't remember how to spell ant. I couldn't speak english well.

In kindergarten, we learned the alphabet.

I hated the letter S (this has nothing to do with the story I just hated the letter S as a kid).

I didn't understand how words were formed like that. Like why are the letters like that. In that order. (If that makes sense)

I think the only book I read that year was one about bread. AND I STILL REMEMBER IT!! (For some reason)

The only reason I'm a bookworm is because I was bribed by cookies.

In second grade (a lot of things happened in second grade ig), I was told that if I got 25 AR points I got a cookie.

(If you don't know what AR points is, this is what it is. When you read a book you have to test on it to make sure you actually read it. Depending on what level the book is you can get more points. Books on second grade level only got 1 point. So you can see how this made me a bookworm.) If any that made sense.

Anyways, after that I actually enjoyed reading. And soon enough I had 100 AR points.

Now people say that bookworms or people that can read, are really good writers or can spell really well.

Well I didn't know this stereotype until 4th grade where my English teacher asked me why I was failing her class, but was aceing reading.

I had this teacher for 3 years, and everytime we had a writing project I would sit in the back of the class and read my book until we had 2 or 3 days left on the project.

I would try to form English words and write an essay, that had to be 25 lines long in 135 minutes (2 hours and 15 minute), about a subject I didn't know.

Yeah no wonder I failed her class.

Years later and I still can't spell to save my life.

I'm just thankful for auto correct and speak to text.