Chapter I - Carina

Carina never knew why she was trapped in this cursed neverending cycle of Life. As far as she can remember, she cannot truly die. Each time she dies, she never get to reach the afterlife. Hell she would gladly go to hell if she could. Every single time, she will be reborn in this same world with the same name.

She was far too tired at this point.

She has experienced many things throughout her life. The good and the bad. She learned not to trust other people, and that life will be much easier if she simply shut off her emotions. If you can't feel, you can't get hurt. 

After many lifetimes, she started to get careless with her life. Never caring about whether someone found out about her reincarnation ability. After all, it won't be the first time someone wanted to experiment on her. Mainly Hydra.

And so she started to make it her mission to destroy as much Hydra's base as she can in her life so that she won't lose her sanity after many life. Which brought us to this moment.

~~~~~
August, 1998.

To say Nick Fury surprised was a statement. It's not every day the Director of SHIELD lose his composure. But this.. He has no words for this scene before him.

A little girl, probably around 5 years old, with hair as white as snow and striking red eyes that seemed to glow, stood on top of a ruin that used to be one of Hydra's base moments ago. A thick black smoke choking the remaining Hydra's agents that are still alive. Her little hands moved forward, and the dead agents were thrown, following her hands.

She wore a white hospital gown that are caked with dirt and blood, barefoot. Fury guessed she was one of their experiment subject. The only word that can describe her is..

Dangerous.

Fury had no idea what to do with the little girl. She can be a powerful ally and a dangerous threat at the same time. He always knew that Hydra is still operating in the shadows. He's keeping a tab on the places he suspect to be Hydra's base.

So when he got the information that some of those places were destroyed, he immediately brought some of the agents with him and checked the place that are still standing. He's worried that Hydra was planning something. He was too late, and those buildings were nothing but a ruin.

And this place was the last one that is still standing. Was. The girl snapped her eyes towards them.

Fury raised his hand to stop the SHIELD's agents behind him who are ready to shoot the little girl. He decided to take the risk. He keep his hands in front of him where the girl could see, to let her know he's not the enemy.

She threw the last Hydra's agent away and watched Fury's movement closely. When Fury got too close for her liking, a sharp ice formed in front of him, stopping him immediately.

“Hello.“

The girl raised an eyebrow at that. She didn't say anything and kept her guard up. Her eyes flitted to the armed agents. Fury saw this and slightly turn his head.

“Leave us. Return to the Helicarrier.“ Fury ordered.

The agents seem to hesitate, but it was an order. So they retreated back to the Helicarrier. The girl relaxed her stance slightly.

“I'm Director Fury. And who are you?“

The girl didn't answer. Merely looking at him with watchful eyes. Fury sighed and kneel down, trying to seem less threatening. Not that it worked much.

“Were you the one who destroy the other buildings?“

The girl was silent for a bit before giving a slight nod. That's an improvement, Fury thought.

“Why?“

“Why should i trust you?“ The sweet childish voice of the girl greeted Fury's ears.

“Because I'm not your enemy. Or maybe because Hydra is also my enemy.“ Fury reasoned.

The ice melted, allowing Fury to step closer. The girl reached out her small hand towards Fury. Fury raised an eyebrow but placed his hand on hers nonetheless. The girl gripped his hand and closed her eyes. Fury could feel a tingling sensation on his hand.

It took another minute until her eyes snapped back open. The girl's glowing eyes dimmed, leaving a ruby red eyes in its place. The girl nodded and let his hand go. Fury noticed her relaxed form. Her guarded stance leaving her completely.

“I'm Carina.“ She finally said.

“Carina. So why did you destroy their bases?“ Fury kneel down and offer her a handkerchief.

“To keep my sanity? Besides, they're the bad guys. I'm doing this world a favour by eliminating them.“

“Sanity?“ Fury was confused. Why would a little girl say that kind of word.

“I'm not a little girl.“ She said simply.

“You're what.. 5? Of course you're a kid.“

“Physically, I am 5. But up here.. I am way older than you.“ She said tapping the side of her head.

Carina placed her hand on Fury's temple. And his mind was flooded with a lot of different scenes. Like watching a movie. Carina took off her hands and turned away.

Her eyes scanned the surrounding, checking whether they had a survivor or not. Once she made sure no one survived her attack, she glanced back at the man wearing a patch on his eye.

“Do you have a family to return to?“ Fury asked after he snapped back to reality.

Carina frown and shook her head. This building was the last on her list this year, she haven't plan what she will do once she's done with her mission.

“Will you come with us then? SHIELD can provide you a place to stay.“

“You want me to work for you.. I won't do it.“ Carina stated. She hates being tied to something.

“Then how about helping?“

“Helping?“

“I won't give you order. You can always refuse a mission. As long as you don't become an enemy of SHIELD. But you do have to stay with us. The council like to keep a tab on enhanced after all. And I'd rather have you under our protection than them.“

Carina knew about it of course. She had to flee from both Hydra and the council before. Human tend to fear things they don't understand. Stupid weak mortal.

“Alright. But I won't do everything you say. I will be helping with the mission only if I want to.“ Carina huffed and walked back to Fury.

“That's good enough.“

As long as she won't become an enemy of SHIELD, Fury won't have to worry. Having her on their side is better than having her as an enemy. If she could easily wipe off the entirety of Hydra's base along with their people, forget about the SHIELD, he didn't think the entire country could stop her if she want to destroy it.

He doesn't want to see what she will do if those fools from the council make the wrong move and anger her.

“Come.“

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Word Count :1179

First Chap! Hope you like it 👋

Sapphire