𝟎𝟒 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐂𝐈𝐋

ATTICUS MIGHT HAVE PEED HIS PANTS if he were eighteen right now instead of twenty six.

He watched Tashi like a hawk as she got up from her seat and beckoned him outside. Slowly, he got out of his seat and made his way to her.

Tashi smirked at him playfully, "I'm not going to bite you, Atticus." No, but you might kill me instead.

He only rolled his eyes and followed Tashi out the cabin. Tashi sat on the porch step and patted the floor next to him, "Sit."

They were closer now, and he could smell her scent. She smelled like pine trees and some other thing Atticus forgot the name of. But it was a heavenly smell to him; he knew that for sure.

"How did you survive a storm, Atticus?"

He sighed, "I told you, I don't know. Stop asking me."

"Ok."

His head quickly turned towards Tashi with a worried expression, "Ok?"

"Yea, ok." Tashi looked at him as if he was the weirdest person in the world.

I shouldn't have accepted the tea. They won't even give me a proper burial, they'll just eat me for their dinner.

In an attempt to calm his nerves, he changed the conversation. "So, what's your favorite color?"

Without even thinking about it, Tashi responded: "Pink. Pink is my favorite color."

Atticus glanced at her when she wasn't looking. Pink would look good on you.

"What's yours?"

He laughed. Atticus didn't have a favorite color. Not that he'd cared anyways. No one ever asked him what color he liked best, so he never gave it much thought.

"I don't have one, cavewoman."

"How can you not have a favorite color, dimbat?"

He shrugged, "I just don't."

"Well, if you could choose one right now, what color would it be?"

He thought for a moment.

Green? No, it reminded him too much of vomit.

Red? His mother always said it was satan's favorite color. But then again, she was in an asylum.

Purple? Fuck no.

Blue? After almost drowning from a storm?

Pink? That's taken.

He was too lazy to think of any more.

"Nope, I can't think of any."

"Hm."

"What?"

"I know a color that might suit you."

He scoffed, "What makes you think I'd want someone else to pick my favorite color?"

"That's true, but if you're really desperate, just ask," she smiled.

As if, he thought. His pride was too large for that.

"Atticus."

"What do you want?"

"Do you know where you are?"

"Of course not," he rolled his eyes.

"Good."

She's probably saying this so I won't know how to get help when she kills me. Oh, God, I'm actually going to get murdered.

"Why-why is it good, Tashi?" He nervously asked.

"Because this island is not meant for humans."

He cackled. I'm going mad just listening to her.

Atticus didn't think Tashi seemed to find her own joke funny since she only glared at him.

"I'm not joking, you fuckass," she spat out.

"Alright, alright, there's no need to get so mad now," Atticus grumbled. I thought people found their own jokes funny. Guess not.

"You are human, Atticus. You can't be here. They'll kill you."

Atticus jumped up. "I knew it! I knew you lunatics were going to kill me! That's why you fattened me up," he exclaimed.

Tashi looked at him, concerned. "What the bloody hell are you going on about-"

"Don't act so innocent, cavewoman."

"I'm not!"

"You just said they were going to kill me!"

"Yes! They as in the council, not me."

"Who the fuck is the council?"

Tashi rubbed her temples; he was one handful of a human. She could only dread his reaction to what she was going to tell him.