Chapter 2

I didn't know exactly what happened, but when I next opened them, I realized a few things. First, a lot of time had passed. Second, we were pulling into a very fancy driveway. Third, there was a very asleep-looking Kurt on my shoulder.

"We're here," announced Mystique.

I grinned gently, still waking up, and drew my arm out from under his head. I planted a very soft kiss to his scalp, causing him to stir.

"Come on. We're... wherever we need to be."

He blinked his eyes open and shot up, blushing furiously. I smirked lopsidedly. "Morning."

He didn't say anything, just opened his car door and stumbled out.

I followed suit, stretching luxuriously after sitting for so long. Mystique was already at the door of- I squinted at the sign- "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters".

I shrugged, and strolled up to where Mystique was waiting and Kurt already was.

A man opened the door and I instinctively ducked behind Kurt, but the man's attention was entirely on my fellow shapeshifter. "Raven," he breathed. "You- you're-"

"Not blue?" Raven interrupted, breezing past the man and into the building. All three of us hurried after her. "Neither are you."

The man scowled. "You're here. You're alive."

"I'm blue," supplied Kurt helpfully. All eyes turned to look at him. "I'm Kurt. Kurt Vagner."

The man looked expectantly at me, and I flinched. I still didn't like him. "Jay," I muttered. "Jay Drachen."

Kurt suppressed a chuckle. "Your last name is Dragon?"

I turned to glare at him. "Hey, I wasn't born with it, but it fits!"

The man shook his head. "I- uh. Welcome. Both of you."

At this point, a girl wandered in, a book in her hand. When she looked up, her eyes glowed in excitement. "New students! Come on, let me show you around!" She took both of our hands and dragged us away. "I'm Jubilee."

"Jay," I said, grinning. I felt more relaxed with someone our age.

"Kurt!" said my friend, bouncing on his heels as we walked away from the adults. "I'm new in America, and very excited to learn your culture."

"You're not going to see it here," said a new voice. I turned sharply, spotting a guy in sunglasses reclining on a couch. "The only thing American about this place is that it used to be British."

Jubilee rolled her eyes. "This is another new guy, Scott."

"And I'm already looking for a way out," Scott told us, leaning forward and standing up. "Why don't we go for a little field trip? There has to be a mall around here."

Kurt seemed confused. "Vhat's... a 'mall'?"

I swiveled around again, backing up to stand by Scott. "You don't know what a mall is? Okay, this is a matter of civic duty now."

Suddenly, another voice cut through our conversation- a feminine one. "Scott," it said, as if reprimanding him for suggesting this.

He spun around, as did I. There stood a girl with a disapproving look on her face. "Come on, Jean! We've been cooped up here for a while, and the Professor isn't even home," he complained to her.

"I'd like to go to zhe mall," Kurt cut in, a nervous look on his face. "Try it."

I ruffled his hair, causing him to bend out of my reach. "All right! Is it decided?" I asked the others, grinning.