Chapter 2: A Motive

(Y/N) POV:

I yawned, trying to pry my eyes open. The morning announcement had rung, waking me up from my dream that I painfully wanted to continue. It was about an animal escaping from a cage towards freedom, but thanks to Monokuma... I could not finish it.

I took a quick shower before heading to my door, before it knocked into me and sent me reeling to the floor.

"Ack--! What was that for!?" I exclaimed impulsively, getting up as I rubbed my nose.

"I'm sorry! I did not know you were behind the door!" cried the tall, green-haired male, "Kaito asked me to bring you to dining hall, so..." he trailed off as I nodded my head. Noticing this, he lent me his hand and led me to the dining hall, where everyone else was gathered.

"Oh, there you are, (Y/N)!" Kaede turned to me with a smile, "I was wondering where you were."

"Now... all of us have arrived." Korekiyo stated calmly, "Kehehehe... I'm glad. It looks as though there were no victims."

"But of course!" Keebo interjected.

"By the way... are you okay, Kaede?" Kokichi asked the girl.

"Huh, what do you mean?" Kaede seemed confused by his question.

"Well, you looked really bummed out after everyone started blaming you yesterday." Kokichi reminded.

"H-Hey... What are you doing all of—" Tsumugi stammered, only to be interrupted by Kokichi.

"Seriously, you guys are so mean. Poor girl... She tried her best to encourage everyone, and you sore losers got mad at her anyway."

"What did you do down there?" my memories of the previous day was hazy, due to being freshly awoken and also invested in my sleep.

"What's the point of bringing that up again?" Keebo replied.

"Actually, didn't you blame Kaede first?" Tenko quizzed.

"Eh? N-Now it's my fault? Why are you guys ganging up on me?" before I could respond, Kokichi started to weep, "WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! You guys are so terrible! So horrible, so mean!"

"Hmph, you're too noisy. Cut it out." Ryoma complained.

"But it's true. Everyone blamed Kaede without taking any responsibility themselves." Kaito shrugged.

"Hey! I am not one of them! Anyway, doesn't that include you too? So, are you gonna apologise to Kaede right now?" I asked Kaito.

"You're right—" Kaito did not get a chance to continue as Rantaro stepped in, "Hey, come on now. Everyone was probably just tired."

"Shut it! That's no excuse!" Kaito argued.

"No, it's okay! It doesn't bother me!" Kaede interjected, "It's just... I should've been more considerate of everyone's feelings. I was too focused on the tunnel... So, I'm sorry..."

"Alright, well... If you're okay with it, then so am I." Kaito replied.

"Phew, cool beans! Now everything's settled!" Kokichi sighed.

"But you did blame her first, didn't you?" Keebo interrupted.

"Well, that was a lie. Y'know, one of those lies to make us more united or whatever." Kokichi shrugged, "Did you know half my lies are actually told with good intentions?"

"Now that sounds like a lie." Himiko regressed.

"Let's just forget about it and discuss something else." Kaede spoke, "Okay? Let's all think of ways to get out of here."