Chapter 1

Rae

I carry the last box from the U-Haul I rented, hating that it took almost 3 hours.

Oof I am sweating.

Determined, I carry the last box to the elevator where I press the button to lead me to the 8th floor. I use the railing where I let the edge of the box support some of the weight, allowing brief relief before the elevator doors open again.

I used the new key to get into my apartment, to which my building manager hesitantly gave me upon meeting me the first time.

I don't blame him, with my long hair usually left down, it's tied up in a bun, showing my mismatched 16 ear piercings. It probably doesn't help that I also have a silver nose ring. My tattoos are quite visible with only a tank top to cover partial torso pieces.

I got a job in my scrappy town as a grocery clerk, and I decided I to finally go for the look I've always wanted to get since I had the money for it finally.

I faked an ID when I was 16 passing off for an 18 year-old, which where I'm from is the legal age limit to get tattoos.

I waited until my actual 18th birthday to get a neck tattoo, proud of the fact that I waited 4 years to see if I still want it as an adult.

I gave my regular artist freedom in design asking him to at least match same aesthetic. When he was done with it, I remember being so pleased with it because it gave almost an elegance to it with the rose in the centre and the nice pattern of black work along the rest of my neck.

I still don't plan on stopping, but I do plan on slowing down as painfully as possible so that I don't run out of space. I don't care about aging with my tattoos, I've seen some badass photos of old people with theirs and I want to be just like them.

As for my piercings, I started piercing my earlobe ones at home starting at 12 with my first pair. My parents didn't want to spend money on one and I wanted it badly enough that I just bought a pair of cheap silver earrings and cauterized a thick gauge needle with a lighter.

By the time I was 15, I had 3 ear lobe piercings each and couldn't wait to get cartilage piercings at tattoo shops for my sweet 16.

Nobody in my school expected me to graduate, especially not with honours of 86%. My grades got me into most of the colleges I applied to, but I chose one that gave me the best scholarship.

I applied to accounting since I've always been good with numbers. I've even done my taxes when I started working part time in high school. I was determined to show these fuckers that despite how I looked, I am smart enough to do what I want.

2 years later, I graduated top of my class, and with a favour from one of my favourite professors and 3 shining letters of recommendation, I landed a job at a law firm in a big city located 5 hours away.

This was the fresh start I was looking for since I my preteens, even saving up as much money as possible along the way.

I am moving into a loft that I'll be able to afford on my own, in a not so terrible crime area compared to where I grew up. I start on the coming Monday, so I rented a U-Haul truck and moved my things in on the Saturday before since the offer was so quick.

My boss will be shocked to say the least, but at first I'll keep my makeup neutral and cover up most of my tattoos. My piercings luckily is easily hidden by my hair I kept natural since it's a lovely shade of brown. I can't cover up my neck tattoo, besides pretty soon they'll get used to it. I'm only an accountant, I'll be hidden away in some cubicle as I work on whatever they give me.

They can't fire me for my looks, especially since I already have a signed contract for 1 year with them. Until then, they're stuck with me and it'll look great on my application. I'm just going to have to continue to work hard at showing them that I belong there.