Father's Lament (Supernatural)

The Empty had taken Cas a month before, and Dean had yet to step foot into the angel's room. Though he didn't sleep, he still had a few possessions that he liked to store in there. And despite the fact the room was sparsely decorated, it was still so Cas that Dean couldn't even bear walking by the door.

Dean had spent the past month since Cas died wallowing in pity and trying every way to get Cas back, but he couldn't. Nothing worked.

The angel's last words were telling Dean that he loved him, and the hunter couldn't even bother to tell the love of his life that he felt the same. Sam told him it was a mix of shock and his ADHD, making him process what Cas said slowly, but Dean wasn't sure.

He loved Cas. He didn't know when he fell for the guy, but he realized he loved him when Zachariah sent him to the future and he saw what Cas became, what Dean did to him. He couldn't believe that future him would willingly send his friend to die and that the angel let him.

He wasn't sure if what Zachariah showed him was the actual future or not, but it was enough to get him to think about his feelings toward the falling angel. He couldn't put his feelings into words besides the three he swore he'd never say to anyone but Sammy, but he didn't mind that.

His sexuality had been something he hadn't given much thought about until he met Charlie. He'd been too afraid to. He knew John was incredibly homophobic as Dean had heard him make fun of multiple gay hunters. He definitely was afraid every time he found himself attracted to a boy, so he just found a girl in his class who liked him and slept with her. When John told him a story of how a friend of Dean's had been caught sleeping with someone of the same gender and John agreed with the fact that the parent had nearly beaten the kid to death, Dean knew he would do anything to keep John from finding out. Dean had been so scared that he swore to never sleep with a dude. And he hadn't.

But then Cas came along, and since John was gone, Dean let himself enjoy Cas in all his awkward glory after years of getting over his internalized homophobia.

And Cas helped him by showing him it was ok to be himself. His touches lingered a tad too long, staring at Dean when he thought the hunter wasn't looking and when he knew he was looking, the absolute ignorance to personal space and standing too close for two male friends, and the way Cas talked to and about him.

Dean remembered late nights spent with Charlie watching horror movies or old sci-fi tv-shows while talking about her latest crush. Many times, Charlie would make him talk about his feelings, and it almost became a kind of therapy for him.

But Charlie was gone. Alt. Charlie was here, living with her girlfriend Stevie, but it wasn't the same. No one will ever replace the little sister he never had.

Just like everyone in his life, she was a victim of the Winchester Curse.

Cas had died many times, but he always came back. Dean was even starting to think he was immune. But alas, the hunter was wrong.

Lately, Sam had been telling him that he should clean out Cas's room. When he asked Sam why he couldn't do it, all his brother said was, "I'm not the one he loved."

So here Dean was, stalling in every way imaginable so he didn't have to enter what felt like Cas's tomb, but he'd run out of excuses.

Taking a deep breath, Dean hesitated for a moment before gradually extending a hand, slowly twisting the knob, and lightly pushing the door open.

The first thing that jumped out at the hunter was the immaculate-looking bed, never slept in. The pristine sheets folded neatly over the bed and tucked in at each corner.

As Dean moved around the room, he found more and more items that he didn't even know Cas owned. An exact replica of his trenchcoat, a spare angel blade, a bee plush Claire go him for Christmas one year, a guitar, a-