The Gallows (Stranger Things)

After everything was all said and done, the Mind Flayer out of Will and the gate closed, Steve was hiding in his bathroom like a coward.

Despite his obvious concussion, Steve had managed to sneak out of the Byers' house when no one was looking and stagger home.  Driving would have been easier, but he didn't trust himself to not pass out behind the wheel and crash. At least this way if he passed out, no one but him would get hurt.

When he got home, he wasn't surprised to find no cars in the driveway and the lights still out. His parents hadn't been home in a month and they wouldn't be home in another five months.

After almost five minutes of trying to unlock the front door, he finally got it and stumbled into the living room. He collapsed on the couch and didn't move. His body was in so much pain, his face especially, that he mostly felt numb. He knew he couldn't sleep by himself without risking death, but he simply didn't care. Honestly, no one had noticed him leaving, how long until they noticed if he just disappeared because he died in his sleep? Would they notice? He hoped they would, but he wasn't sure.

Steve's stomach started grumbling, but he couldn't even keep his eyes open. Within a minute, he was passed out on the couch.

Fast forward to a nearly week later, no one had come to visit. He'd gotten a couple of calls here and there, but no visits. That was fine, though. They all had their own lives, they didn't need Steve for... What purpose did Steve have? Anyway, his concussion was still in effect and left him curled up on the bathroom tile as someone banged on the front door. He'd finished puking a bit earlier but he felt too poorly to leave. Then the banging started and he was afraid.

"Steve!" A voice called out. It sounded familiar. "Steve, we know you're here. Open up!"

Nancy. That was Nancy at his door. And someone else?

Prying himself up from the floor, grimacing as his skin stuck to the tile, and staggered his way to the front door. His head swam and he had to fight nausea, but he got there without puking.

Opening the door, Steve put on his best "I'm totally fine, don't worry about me" smile and found Nancy and Dustin on his front porch. "What can I do for you?" Were they actually there? No, they couldn't be. Must be a concussion-induced hallucination.

Dustin shot forward and wrapped his arms around Steve's waist. Nope, definitely real. "I was so worried when you disappeared that night. No one would let me go after you. Then it took me days for my mom to let me out of her sight to help look for Mews."

Steve was stunned. They noticed he had left that night? And Dustin wanted to follow him? At least someone had a reason for not seeing him sooner. Not that anyone needed a reason, of course. Why would anyone go out of their way to see him? He was just the kids' babysitter. He didn't matter in the long run.

He looked at Nancy confused before slowly pushing the boy back a bit so he could look at him. "I'm ok, buddy."

Clearly, Dustin didn't believe him, based on the look the boy was giving him. "And I'm supposed to ignore that you're covered in sweat, I can't see your face through the bruises, and you smell like puke?"

Steve sighed. "You're too smart for your own good sometimes." He opened the door wider and walked to the couch, plopping down while the other two walked in.

"Are you ok?" Dustin asked, sitting down next to Steve. "I'm pretty sure you have a concussion. Have you been sleeping? Where are your parents?"

Steve covered Dustine's mouth, effectively silencing the tirade of questions. "I'm fine. Yes, I have a concussion and yes I've been sleeping. I think my parents are in New York; will be for another five months." Then he turned to Nancy. "What are you doing here?"

If she felt awkward being there, she didn't show it. "He wanted to come and Hopper doesn't want anyone going anywhere alone. He came over and Mike was still asleep, so I offered to drive him."

Steve nodded, then turned to the seventh grader falling asleep beside him. "Hey, you haven't been sleeping very well, have you?" When Dustin shook his head, Steve nudged him awake. "Why don't you go sleep in my bed. I'll still be here when you wake up." The boy was too tired to argue and he slowly trudged up the stairs.

The room was silent, the tension suddenly skyrocketing as soon as Dustin left the room.

"I'm sorry," Steve blurted.

Nancy's head snapped to look at him, "For what?"

"For freaking out after Halloween. I mean, I had a right to be upset, but I shouldn\'t have reacted the way I did. You were drunk and didn't even remember anything."

Nancy scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. "What do you mean you had a right to be upset? I was drunk."

Was she serious? "Of course I was upset! I was in love with you and you told me that our relationship was bullshit and that you didn't love me. And haven't you heard the saying 'a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts?'" Silence. "Do you see nothing wrong with what you did?"

"No! I was drunk!"

Steve shot off the couch, the anger burning through his veins. "Is that your only explanation? Newsflash, you weren't drunk when you slept with Johnathan before we'd even broken up!" She staggered back, clearly surprised. "He told me a couple of days ago when I apologized for being an asshole to him. Told me I deserved to know and he wasn't sure you'd tell me until I saw you two together."

She was still stunned but she managed to collect herself enough to respond. "Why should you know? It's our lives."

Steve scoffed. "Maybe because you're my ex and I still care about you."

"You seem to know what you think we should be."

All the anger seeped out of him and he collapsed back on the couch. He had to hold back his grimace as the motion jostled his injured ribs. "I've tried for you for so long, if only you could see," he mumbled, ending in a whisper. He leaned forward and rested his face in his hands, immediately recoiling in pain as he forgot his face was one big bruise. He instead moved his hands to the sides of his head. "I've been paying for this loneliness when loneliness is free."

"Oh, grow up," Nancy chastised. "You're not a child."

"No, I'm not." He looked up at her. "But neither are you. I'm still paying for my mistakes, Nancy, I know that. You can take control and leave me with the blame, but that's not how life works."

She groaned and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I can't believe this. I'm going. I'm glad you're ok." She stomped to the front door and quickly left.

Fine. If she couldn't own up to her own mistakes, then Steve didn't want to be around her. Honestly, he wasn't surprised they didn't last. She wasn't good for him. At all.

Turning to the kitchen, Steve quickly glared at the clock on the microwave and groaned. It was only ten o'clock.

His body still hurt. He was going back to bed.