CHAPTER 25: YOU HAVE TO KNOW

A/N POV [AT NIGHT]

After refilling her water bottle, Y/N wandered down the dimly lit hallway toward her room. The soft thud of her footsteps was the only sound echoing through the quiet house. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice the shadow that fell over her until it was too late. 

A sudden pull yanked her back, and her heart jumped to her throat. She spun around, her eyes wide with a mix of shock and panic, only to find Jungkook staring right at her, his gaze intense, almost burning.

"Jungkook, you scared me..." Her voice wavered, half from the adrenaline still pumping through her veins and half from sheer confusion.

"Wasn't trying to," he muttered, his tone low and gravelly as he let go of her arm. She could finally breathe. Her mind raced, and she managed to ask, though her voice shook a little.

"Is there something you want to say? 'Cause, honestly, I'm not up for rehashing that night—"

Before she could finish, Jungkook's face softened just a bit. He reached out, gently pressing a finger to her lips to stop her from saying more.

"Shh... Just hear me out," he murmured. "I don't remember much after the club, and I'm not here to figure that out. What matters is you. Whatever happened with anyone else doesn't mean jack to me."

Y/N watched him closely, her heart thudding against her ribs as she took in his words. His eyes stayed locked on hers, and for a moment, she felt exposed but also drawn in, like he was pulling her into his world, his chaos.

"If I crossed a line, said something, did something outta place—I'm sorry," he continued, his voice quieter now, more sincere. "I was messed up, and that's all I can say."

Jungkook slowly stepped back, giving her some space, and she took a breath, trying to wrap her head around everything he'd just said. She wanted to say something—maybe to press him for more answers or just to clear the air—but the words caught in her throat.

"Jungkook, back then, you said—" she began, trying to piece together her thoughts, but before she could get any further, Taehyung's voice cut through the heavy atmosphere.

"Hey, Jungkook! Wanna grab a drink?" Taehyung strolled over, totally clueless to the thick tension hanging in the air between Y/N and Jungkook.

Both Y/N and Jungkook turned to look at Taehyung, the moment between them suddenly shattered like glass hitting the floor.

"Uh, did I just walk in on something?" Taehyung's eyes darted between the two of them.

Jungkook glanced from Y/N to Taehyung, his expression torn. He seemed to weigh his options for a second, his jaw tensing and relaxing. Then, after a deep breath, he nodded slightly.

"Not really. Let's go."

After one final glance at Y/N, Jungkook left with Taehyung. Y/N couldn't help but groaned. "I suppose I'll have to wait until the next time I see Jungkook. Okay, I'll be patient."

                                   TAEHYUNG POV             

I set down two glasses of wine on the coffee table and sank back onto the couch. Jungkook was still staring at the bookshelf like it had just insulted him.

"Your taste in books has changed," he said, his brow raised, a smirk creeping onto his lips. "You used to read the most boring stuff. But this one looks more... interesting. You sure this is yours?"