surprise happy birthday

there was no cornbread harmed in the making of this chapter.

the crow steps aside to reveal a tiny curtain that had been concealed behind its back the entire time.

"oho... if only you knew..." it chuckled, sliding it's greasy feathers to the soft fabric. "would you like to see what, or- or whom, rather, has been waiting all this time to see you?"

you suck in a breath and slowly nod.

the crow smiles and pulls the curtain back to reveal the cornbread.

your cornbread.

it sits, chained to the floor with hooks pierced into its side. fully naked from its pan.

you scream out for it in pure desperation, the guards throwing more flex-tape over your mouth to muffle your outbursts.

"silence! you pathetic excuse of a being," the crow spits straight into your eyes. "my cornbread now, ding dong."

you weep, calling out for your lover with a broken heart. not a word you say can be understood, but you cry out to your cornbread anyway.

"my love, speak to me..." 

the cornbread hangs its head in defeat.

"no! no no talk to me, LOOK AT ME!" 

yet once again your cornbread speaks not a word.

"see? see what lovely things my cornbread has endured? oh if only you could watch! if only you could see! oh, what a joyous time that would be..." the crow fantasizes, dreamily turning to the cornbread. "...oh! but- why good heavens! why couldn't you watch and see?" 

it giggles and opens its mouth wide, standing behind the precious loaf with a smirk.

"count down with me, shall we? ten..."

"nine..."

"eight..."

you plead and sob, attempting to break out of the chains that hold you to your chair. 

"seven!"

"six!"

"five!" the crow giggles, watching your every move. mocking your every move.

"fourrrr~"

"three!"

"two."

"...one."