Chapter Sixteen

Completely exhausted from healing Nadrin, confronting Viktor and calming Dartian, Saleene sighed. Unaware of her own actions she found herself relying on Dartian’s strength. She feared having to face Viktor again, especially just the two of them. She would need to find a way out of it, or else leave the village as soon as she could. The man was dangerous in a way she could not explain. 

Looking over her shoulder at Dartian, Saleene whispered, “I believe I’ve made an enemy in this village. That man scares me to death.” Still rubbing her arms, Dartian advanced to put his arms around her, allowing the warmth of his body to seep into hers.

“We will figure something out. He may be the leader’s son, but there are laws in place so he cannot force his will on someone. I will need to seek counsel from the elders here.”

His words didn’t ease her worry. There was something off with Viktor. It felt unnatural, but she couldn’t place what it was that was nagging at her. Could it have something to do with the illness she had glimpsed while taking care of Nadrin? She knew the man was concerned about the chief of their village. Her mind felt like it was going in a hundred directions with no clear stop.

“You know, if you keep twisting the hem of your dress it is going to shred into a million pieces.” Dartian chuckled.

Annoyed with her nervousness, Saleene focused her stare on Dartian. She wanted to throw something at his head. If only she wasn’t so tired, she would have throttled him but good. He needed to be put in his place once in a while. Instead of attempting to deal with his arrogance, she decided to refill her mother’s old chalice, placing it on the hearth.

“I am going to go to sleep now.” She looked at Nadrin, a smile still on his face. “Nadrin, you must rest and drink another glass of the brew I’ve made for you. I will check on you later and make sure you are resting well. Good night.” She left the room before either of them could utter another word.

Closing the door behind her, Saleene wondered if she would ever have a normal day again. Dealing with Dartian was tiring. He was the most overbearing, egotistical man she had ever met, yet he seemed so protective and honor-bound. Removing the cloak that had covered her thick mass of golden hair, Saleene began to prepare for bed. Lighting a few more candles to help dispel the tension in the healer’s home, Saleene thought back to her family and wished she could see them again. Her mother would be able to provide answers to many of the questions she had lingering in her mind.

Pulling back the covers, Saleene noticed the artwork on the quilt that covered the bed. Such detail, such depth, the patterns took her breath away with their beauty. Looking further, she was certain a story was woven into the intricate patterns; one probably handed down from generation to generation. Pulling up a chair next to the bed, she began to look closer at the pictures. There seemed to be something familiar in the story they told. Could it be a story she had been told about long ago as a child? Thinking back, she tried to recall the story, but nothing surfaced. What was the story about? Had someone blocked her memory?

Annoyed, she drew back the covers further and crawled into bed. With a quiet prayer on the wind, she used her gift to secure the home for the night. Even though Viktor had left, she did not trust him. Sending her senses out, she could feel the home secure. Closing her eyes,  she allowed the darkness to envelop her as the day’s events finally took their toll.

*****

Outside Saleene’s room, Nadrin and Dartian began to secure the home for the night. Not saying much to each other, Dartian spoke first, as he knew Nadrin had questions.

 “What is it? You are holding back something and it would be much easier for the both of us if you just asked.” Dartian was beyond caring about propriety after the day’s events. He respected the healer, but there was only so much a person could deal with.