Inside the Executives' Office

'I know Vedika, papers ghar bhi sign ho sakte the. But I really wanted you to see my new office." Shashi, Ram and Vedika were standing inside a brand new cabin, fully equipped with shining teal furniture, giving a rich businessman vibe to anybody who walked in. There was a television facing an ivory couch, a modern coffeemaker sitting on a cupboard near a window overlooking the Mumbai Skyline, lot of boxes of files waiting to be uncovered, a desk with a glass top, with a vase of white lilies, a laptop, a few files, and a silver name plate with the engraving,' SHASHI BABBAR: SENIOR EXECUTIVE. ' written on it.

Vedika smiled looking around, genuinely happy for the progress Shashi had made in the last few years. Granted, he had started on higher post than most first time employees- courtesy to Mr. Boss.- but he had worked hard to earn 2 promotions and a lavish office in just two years. Or atleast it seemed that way.

She glanced a little at Ram, who by the look on his face, was thinking the same thing.

'Aur haan, abhi yeh sab settled nahi hai, isilye tum furniture idhar udhar karva sakti ho. You have full right.' Shashi said, looking at the time, ' mujhe Adi ke saath aaj sign ki hui deal ki details ko go through karna hai, Ram, tum Vedika ko bata sakte ho, papers par kaha sign karna hai?' , and without waiting for an answer, Shashi rushed out of the office.

Ram and Vedika looked at each other, smiling, looked away, and Ram, like before, blew out air and started looking for the unsigned papers. Once they were opened in front of Vedika, and she knew where she had to sign, they realized they didn't have a pen. Ram found one and was about to give it to her, but as knowing Ram, the Clumsy Businessman, nervously fiddled with the pen and dropped it. Vedika caught it just in time for Ram to reach out for it too, and they bumped their heads.

'Aaa...'

'Ouch!' 'Ram!'

'Ahaa..sorry, sorry! Tum theek ho? Ahh...? Vedu?' Ram looked up, wincing, and found Vedika laughing hysterically.

'Ram, tum.....kaise takraye? Mai takra gayi, itni zor se, tum bhi na.' she said, hands on her knees, squinting her eyes.

'Par tum hass kyu rahi ho?' Ram asked, confused, with one hand on his head.

'Kyuki aisi bachon vali harkate bhot kam hoti hai, isiliye.' Vedika said in a matter of fact tone, still not able to control her laughter.

'Tum pagal ho gyi ho?' Ram was bewildered to see her behave like this, like the old Vedu that he knew, and loved.

'pehle ka pta nahi, par tumse takra ke toh definitely hogyi hu!' Vedika let her laughter fill the whole office, as she knew It won't die down now.

And then Ram found himself laughing too, a little because his head was still hurting from that stupid bumping, but mainly because the laughter was infectious. And her laugh, for one, had always been one of the many things he loved about her. It was something that could lighten up Ram's mood in the gloomy days. No matter the situation, be it his first interview, the worst day at his job, or him losing his father, something would happen that would make Vedika laugh and simultaneously, Ram too. He used to think that Vedika would sometimes laugh just on purpose of making him laugh. And that made him feel loved. More than anything else. Because it was true. And this was one of those times.