Misconceptions.

There was a power cut. The whole mansion was dark, owning to the artificial candles, but their room was the same. Except that it wasn't. The music turned off and startled both Ram and Vedika. The love in the air feeling was gone and reality set in. Both of them realized what was about to happen. They were going to cross the line, and it was going to be disastrous. Shashi was the major reason, but there was something else. A sense of uncertainty. If the other person even wanted to cross this line. What if they just got carried away by the music and the lighting and the ambience, but didn't actually have the guts to start this again?

Ram wasn't sure if Vedika still loved her. He looked at her as she tried to fix her perfectly set saree, and observed her hesitance to look back at him. She was married. Married. And that too with his co-worker. And she seemed happy with him. There wasn't anything Shashi couldn't give her. Ram felt as if he was imposing himself on her. Like she just wasn't able to deal with all the déjà vu and got carried away. Otherwise if this hadn't happened, if she hadn't seen him walk upstairs alone, she wouldn't even have given a second thought to him. She probably just thought he felt sad. That he missed his dad. She just felt bad for him. That's it. That all it was. Pity.

Vedika never thought she could feel like that again. Today, when Ram pulled her towards him, she felt her whole life flashed before her eyes. All of the moments she had spent close to him, all those little nuances that were his specialty, that made her feel all the love in the world, came rushing back. But this wasn't the same. Ram couldn't possibly feel the same love he had felt for her back then. That was 8 years ago. Just because she didn't move on doesn't mean he didn't too. No. This was his vulnerability. He was sad, and missing his dad, and alone and he didn't have anyone to talk to. To hold on to. He needed time for himself and Vedika didn't respect that. He was weak and she probably just took advantage of that. She looked up at Ram just as he pulled away from her, looking embarrassed. This wasn't what Ram wanted. He didn't want her. He didn't love her. It was just that. Weakness, not love.

The party howled. Ram looked around to find his phone and called Tarun.

'Generator kyu nahi chalu hua abhi tak? Party chal rahi hai yaar. Come on. Haan. Jaldi karo.' he was completely out of his element, not even able to yell at Tarun in the usual way. After standing in her proximity, still able to feel Vedika's touch on him, he looked in her direction, not completely at her, and said,' Vo main vo...' , he awkwardly touched his eyebrow, and she looked at him,' Party sambhalni hai? Tum jao. Mai yeh cake rakhva kar aati hu. Go.' There was a defeat in her voice, and Ram's heart broke a little. He wanted to look at her so badly, but the felt like he had lost that right. Instead, he just walked out without saying another word, and left Vedika standing there alone, not sure what to do next.

Back in the party, the generator was turned on, and Shivina was on the stage.

'Sorry for the malfunction guys, party ko aage badhate hai.                                                               Har saal ki tarah, Dad aur Vedika dono ka birthday cake 12 bje se pehle kaatenge. So I think it's about time. Vedika, Ram bhai, on the stage, please. Also, Tarun! Cakes!' Shivina was just like his brother in most ways. One of them being managing everything flawlessly.

Ram and Vedika both walked up to the stage, hysterically ignoring each other. Vedika was joined by Shashi, who held her hand and made her stand in front of the cake. Hers was a beautiful white color, with the words Happy Birthday Vedika written silver frosting, surrounded by pink buttercream flowers. Vedika looked at Shashi , smiled guiltily and said like everytime, 'thankyou.' Shashi looked at the cake, and then at Vedika, knowing she was satisfied with the choice, and said like everytime, 'Aur kiske liye karunga, baby?' which made her feel even more guilty.