Reveal

The arrow that flew to the target several meters away, hit just to the left of where Aelia aimed. Her hands were still shaking. She had found Dorian, but the prince was, again, called away to the king, but granted Aelia permission to go out to the garden with a bow and arrows; Lorelei accompanying her.

Aelia went for another arrow, but her quiver across her back was empty. She bit her lip as she went to retrieve her arrows, Lorelei following her. The handmaid took Aelia's bow and the princess pulled out the last of her arrows from the target when a familiar face approached her.

Chaol strode up to her with his hand resting on his sword.

"How's your hand?"

Aelia took her bow from Lorelei. "It's fine."

"How badly did you want to murder me for putting you in that situation."

Aelia notched an arrow and pulled back. "Medium."

She let her arrow fly and it hit the center, right where she aimed.

Chaol shrugged. "Better than some days."

Aelia pulled back another arrow.

"I thought you were in charge of Celaena. Where is she?"

Another direct hit.

"I left her to go to her rooms."

Aelia clicked her tongue. "You left her to walk alone? Glad to see she gets free reign her first day here."

"She's not a princess."

Aelia nearly scoffed. "She's an assassin."

Chaol adjusted his tunic. "She's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Plus, I've got four armed guards by her rooms at all times."

"And what makes you think she wouldn't kill them?"

"She knows that if she did anything to piss off the king, she would be sent to the gallows."

Aelia shivered. Never, in her life, did Aelia think that Celaena Sardothien would be threatened to be hanged. The thought didn't settle well with the princess.

"I've also come to tell you that to the castle, she will not be called Celaena. Her alias is Lillian Gordaina. We would like to keep her identity a secret."

Aelia cocked her head. An alias under an alias. Oh, if only Chaol and Dorian knew.

"Smart. Wouldn't want anyone to know that Adarlan's Assassin is only eighteen years old and right under the king's nose."

Chaol heard Aelia's tone but didn't address it.

"You are free to speak and accompany her with any guard present. Though, she does begin training tomorrow."

Aelia blinked. "You're allowing me to be around her?"

Chaol nodded. "You have a history with her. Even if we know nothing about it. As long as you two don't raise any suspicion, I don't see the problem with you two taking a walk."

Chaol had no idea what this statement meant to Aelia.

"Thank you."

Chaol bowed his head slightly. "There is more news, but I'll let Dorian tell you."

At this Aelia was confused. "More news?"

Chaol nodded. "I can escort you to him. He's at the wall."

Aelia glanced to the stone wall that encircled the palace grounds. She handed her bow and quiver of arrows to Lorelei and took Chaol's extended arm. The walk to the wall was silent and when they reached the gate, Aelia suddenly realized that this was the farthest she's been away from the palace in a long while. Dorian descended the steps from the top of the wall and replaced Chaol's position beside Aelia.