Distracted

Aelia had her arm interlinked with Lady Kaltain's and she hated every second she was with the lady. Even knowing that the prince was married, Kaltain still tried to wiggle her way between them. The lady was desperate, even if she was betrothed to another. Aelia didn't particularly care what Kaltain did, but the princess did care when the lady talked. It was never-ending.

Kaltain was talking, and Aelia had on a fake smile as she envisioned a way to shut the lady up for good, but Kaltain quickly paused and Aelia had to refocus her eyes to realize that Dorian and company had come from around the corner.

Kaltain unlinked her arm from Aelia and went into a deep curtsy. "Your Highness! What a surprise!"

Aelia noticed that Dorian had Celaena's arm in his with Chaol behind them. Dorian had tensed just as Aelia did when Kaltain curtsied.

"Princess. Lady Kaltain."

Kaltain straightened. "We've just come from Her Majesty's side."

Aelia scrunched her face. They had left the queen's presents a while ago.

"Her Majesty wishes to see Your Highness. Of course, I informed Her Majesty that Your Highness was in a meeting and could not be-"

Dorian had noticed Aelia's hand shift and the prince knew that the princess had a forbidden hidden dagger under her bodice.

"Lady Kaltain," Dorian quickly interrupted Kaltain's clamored speech. "I'm afraid you haven't been introduced to my friend."

Kaltain blinked and let out a shuddering breath that only Aelia could hear.

"Allow me to present the Lady Lillian Gordaina. Lady Lillian, meet Lady Kaltain Rompier."

Celaena curtsied and Aelia noticed the tension in her body. Kaltain bowed her head to Celaena. Aelia held back her scoff. If only they all knew that Celaena deserved more than a bow.

"Lady Lillian is from Bellhaven; she arrived just yesterday."

Kaltain took a moment to study Celaena and in that moment Dorian and Aelia shared a glance.

"And how long will you be staying with us?"

Dorian answered for Celaena. "Only a few years."

"'Only'! Why, Your Highness! How droll! That is a very long stretch of time!"

Aelia clenched her jaw from Kaltain's shouting.

"The Lady Lillian and Captain Westfall are very close companions. It will feel short for them, I assure you."

"And for you, Your Highness?"

It was like Aelia wasn't even there.

"I suppose," Dorian held a hand out and Aelia gladly left Kaltain's side and took his palm.

"That it will be difficult for Lady Lillian and us as well. Perhaps more so. Princess Aelia has come to a liking of Lady Lillian."

Kaltain's eyes snapped to Celaena. "Wherever did you find that dress? It's extraordinary."

Aelia couldn't hide the scrunch in her nose.

"I believe Princess Aelia had it made for her. It does look extraordinary on her, doesn't it?"

Kaltain sucked on her tooth then put on a very fake smile. "Simply stunning. Though such pale green tends to wash out a woman of pallid skin."

"The Lady Lillian's paleness was a source of pride for her father. It makes her rather unusual." Dorian turned to Chaol and Aelia could smell near embarrassment coming from the captain. "Don't you agree, Captain Westfall?"