Chapter One: War

Pallesea!! Come quick. It's the queen. She's been murdered," I quickly swam to the castle. "Dorieos? Dorieos, what happened?" "I don't know. I thought I smelled blood coming from the castle. So I swam here as fast as I could and found her motionless and bloody," "Do we have any suspects of who did it?" "No," "Well, there is one person who we can suspect," "There are many people who we can suspect," "Yes. But there is one person who can be our main suspect," "Who?"

Hi there, my name is Pallesea Arime. My mum is Queen Neania Arime. I am the oldest out of eight children. I have seven siblings. Morgarian, Allume, Evisise, Malira, Evilato, and twins Azalena and Melome. I'm two years and two months older than Morgarian. Morgarian is two years and two days older than Allume. Allume is one and a half years older than Evisise. Evisise is two years and two weeks older than Malira. Malira is three years and four months older than Evilato. And Evilato is one year and eight months older than Azalena and Melome. We don't talk about my father. We are sirens. My mother is the queen of sirens. My life has been pretty normal. Well, as normal a life as a flesh-eating siren can have. That was until I was 14. Mermaids and sirens haven't been getting along for two years. But we normally just stayed out of each other's way. But one day my mum gathered everyone in the kingdom together with some sort of announcement. "So, unfortunately, it looks like the once peaceful mermaids have declared war on us sirens," She said. "What? Why? What did we do?" The leader of the siren military, Dorieos, said. "We didn't do anything. You all know how he is. Now we have two options. We can either fight in this war or surrender immediately," Mum said. "What happens if we surrender?" Allume asked. "If we were to surrender or if we were to lose this war, then I will have to step down as queen and the leader of mermaids will become our leader," Mum said. Everyone gasped. "I've talked to the leader and we agreed that I would get one week to let everyone vote on what we should do. I'll have my children pass out voting ballots later today. When you get them please fill them out and return them as soon as possible. I'll gather everyone back together at the end of one week and announce the results. Think about what you're going to vote for carefully. Your choices will impact the future of the sirens" Mum said. She dismissed everyone and swam away. "What will happen if we go to war with the mermaids? Will we lose?" Malira said. "Oh please. We're sirens. We're better than mermaids. We're basically flesh-eating mermaids. We'll kick those mermaids' asses," Evilato said, chuckling. I swam away while my siblings talked. I swam to the military base. "Princess Pallesea! Hi," Dorieos said. "Hello Dorieos," I said. I looked around at all the soldiers training. "I can tell you're worried about the war," Dorieos said. "Yeah. I just want to make sure we have a strong military. That way, I know we at least stand a chance against the mermaids," I said. "You know, you're very mature for only being fourteen," Dorieos said. "Well, I have to be. I'm the oldest out of eight. With my mum being the queen, I'm in charge of my siblings most of the time. Make sure they don't get into any trouble," I said. Dorieos and I stood in silence. I looked at Dorieos. "You're pretty mature for only being sixteen. I mean, you're the leader of our military. You have to be pretty mature for that," I said. "Well, I forced myself to be mature. After my father was killed, I promised him that I would be the best fighter possible. But due to me being the best fighter out of all of the sirens, Queen Neania made me the leader of the military," Dorieos said. "Do you regret being so mature? I mean, do you regret letting my mum make you the leader?" I asked. "Absolutely not. For the longest time, the siren military was weak. But that was because our only threats were the humans, so, the only thing we had to do was just sing and lure the humans into the water and drown them. But our music doesn't work on mermaids. And besides, you can't drown a mermaid. After my father got murdered during that squid attack and Queen Neania made me the leader of the military, I was able to train the soldiers to be ten, if not, twenty times better than they ever were. And I'm proud of myself for that," Dorieos said. I smiled. "Do you think we'll stand a chance in this war if we do go to war with the mermaids," I said. "Of course we stand a chance. We're all sirens after all," Dorieos said. I swam away without saying another word. A week passed. Mum gathered everyone back together to announce the results of the voting. "We're going to war with the mermaids," She said.