Chapter 4 - Let Me Show You

Zayn’s P.O.V.

            Mr. Hark.

            Somehow, he is a part of this. When I saw them together in the hallways, it wasn’t hard to tell that something was wrong. I didn't know what is actually going on, but I vowed that I would figure it out. I would figure all of this out and save Niall.

            All through lunch, I stared off into space, deep in thought. I think it was driving Liam mad, because normally he and I would chat with one another—Harry and Louis are always off in their own world.

            “Zayn,” Liam said out of the blue, “You got him to talk,”

            I knew who he was talking about right away. I just nodded happily, proud of myself. They didn't think I could do it. And now, I was proving them wrong.

            “It wasn’t that hard actually,” I said, “You just have to give him a chance to feel comfortable and safe around you,”

            Louis barged into the conversation then, “Is that why he ran away from you in the hall today? Because he felt safe around you?”

            His sarcasm frustrated me.

            “Louis,” I groaned, “Shut it. It’s not like I claimed we were best friends yet. All I said was that he felt more comfortable around me,”

            “Well,” Louis smirked, “At least your obsession isn’t as creepy anymore. Now you’ve actually talked to the lad,”

            It kind of bothered me when Louis called Niall my obsession. I mean, as true as it may be, I felt as though he was more than that. He was my crush, my love, the person who I would give up everything for, and I barely knew him. Was it silly of me to fall head over heels in love with him like this? Of course it was. But I couldn’t help it. There was no way I could fall out of love with him.

            We headed back to school right after lunch, and I suffered through afternoon classes, my thoughts drifting about helplessly. However, most of my free thinking time had been going to one question. What are monsters? The more I thought about the question, the more broad the answer seemed. Monsters could literally be anything. They could be acutual monsters, like vampires and werewolves. They could be objects. They could be people. The last one seeming the most probable. But who had hurt Niall enough to scare him like this? Did Niall get bullied? Or…abused? It made me sick just thinking about it. But that bruise, the one shaped like a handprint…that meant something too. There was someone hurting him.

            So, monsters are people that hurt him.

            That was as far as I could come to a conclusion.

            When the final bell rung at the end of school, I headed outside immediately, hoping to find Niall and talk with him, maybe even walk him home. It was pretty nice out, so I rolled up my flannel sleeves, and slung my bag over my shoulder, scanning the parking lot for Niall. Finally, I caught a glimpse of those blonde locks—so easy to spot—drifting out of sight, into the trees behind the school. Where was he going? Surely he didn’t live back there...