Chapter 57: Quirk Mishap

A/N: I did a poverty simulation training for work last week. My name was Linda and I was 36. I had a 15-year-old daughter and a husband, and my father lived with us because he was disabled and couldn't care for himself. Within the first five minutes, our house was burglarized by other people in the simulation. I got robbed at gunpoint (fake, bright green, plastic gun, but still!) more than once. The bank lady was relentless about demanding our mortgage payment. The pawn shop was selling guns to more people who started to rob others. The lines at social services were horrendous. I asked the church for help and they gave me FIFTEEN DOLLARS. Someone tried to get me to pedal drugs (sugar packets), but the pawn shop was right next to the jail and I'm not that stupid! If I got arrested, no one would be able to care for my father, so the risk of selling drugs was not worth it! The drug dealer and I were cool, though. She never robbed me, and I didn't draw attention to her when she was robbing someone else (LMAO!). We tried switching the name on our 'house' with another group's name plate and hoped that they had already paid their mortgage—they had not. The pawn shop offered me $45 for my CAR. A whole-ass CAR. Very frustrating, very eye-opening; I wish republicans were required to do this. Also, I started Stranger Things Season 3, and within the first three minutes, I was yelling "what the fuck do you think you're doing?!" at my screen. Also, also, I quit my lifeguarding job with NO notice, and it felt so damn empowering. I got written up because my tone was too "aggressive." What was I doing? Rule enforcement. Like ????? They also didn't close down and left me and another lifeguard on top of the slide towers while it was lightning and thundering! (I secretly wished to be struck by lightning because (1) workers' comp, (2) to get a once in a lifetime experience, (3) to feel what Denki feels, and (4) to get cool lightning scars. To be fair, though, it's probably best that it didn't happen. I don't know how it would go being on top of the slide tower and not actually touching the ground.) I recommend that everyone quit a shitty job with no notice at least once in their life!

"It's nothing harmful or painful or deadly or anything," Tetsutetsu reassured as they ran toward the dorm building. "We just can't handle it anymore. Tsunotori was being torn to shreds when I started over here, and everyone else has already been run through. We didn't know what else to do... Monoma's going to murder us all when this quirk wears off, but we're desperate, man!"

"Hitoshi is still out on internship?" Denki asked to confirm, pretty sure that he had just started a few hours earlier and would be out until either very late that night or even early morning the next day.

"Yeah, or we wouldn't have come to get you," Tetsutetsu informed.

No, but Hitoshi would have, Denki was sure. He felt the twinge of exclusion that came with only being a boyfriend to two literal soulmates who were destined for one another. He brushed it aside, knowing that the only ones who mattered in that regard were the soulmates themselves, and they had never treated him differently from each other. He was fully informed about major events at the same time the other soulmate was informed, and he was included in all of the dates. He had offered a few times to let them do their own thing, partly to be considerate of their already established relationship without him, and partly because he was terrified of annoying them and losing both the relationship and subsequently their friendship, but neither of them would have it. They had laughed at the idea, and reminded Denki that he was equal in this mishmash of a relationship they had all found themselves in. That was all that mattered, so Denki brushed off the small comments made by others who assumed otherwise.

Tsunotori had abandoned the small study room in tears as soon as Denki had entered. He paused briefly to watch her go before turning toward Neito, who sat on the floor in the middle of the room, completely ignoring the chairs, tables, desks, and couches in favor of sulking on the carpet. He looked numb, emotionless; it was strange to see a lack of emotion on a face that gave away every little thing that he was feeling at any given moment.