3

One Year later: (present day)

"Would you like some more coffee?" I asked turning around the face Mags. She hadn't had any family left, so Finn and I were always sure to come around and spend time with her.

She shook her head and smiled as I handed her a fresh cup.

"Do you think we could watch the announcement for the Quarter Quell together?" I asked and she smiled and nodded as she reached for my hand.

"Finnick likes to watch alone." I said answering her knowing look.

The tv screen came up and while President Snow was doing his introduction speech, I had continued in the kitchen.

"Mags could you turn that up." I called out to her, and she did right when Snow was announcing.

"On the 75th anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors." My hand broke the glass that was in my hand leaving glass and water all over the floor, and a few cuts on my hand.

"Dove." Mags said just above a whisper snapping me out of my daze.

"I'm fine, it's fine. Let me clean this up." I said as I dropped to the floor and started picking up the glass.

She grabbed my shoulder telling me to leave it, as she grabbed a rag and held it to my hand.

Finnick soon ran in, his eyes watery. "What happened?" He asked seeing the bloody rag in my hand.

"I slipped and broke the glass." I said gesturing to Mags who had already picked up the pieces.

"Did you hear the-" He said, but stopped seeing the look I gave him.

"We need to start planning." I said trying the rag around my hand.

"Dove." He said trying to calm me down, but I wouldn't listen.

"We need to have a plan Finnick."

"Dove, breathe okay. We haven't even gotten to the reaping yet. There's still a chance-"

"You'll still be going, you're the only male victor, and I am not letting you go alone. I should've went with you the first time, it would've worked for us."

"There's no way out of this one, Snow won't make that mistake twice."

"Well, then it looks like we aren't making it out of this." I said starring up into his sea green eyes. No matter what, I was mesmerized, and little did I know he was thinking the same thing.

"We'll talk to Haymitch, and come up with a plan."

"You weren't going to come say goodbye." Wade said. I stood in front of the mirror in the living room of my house, he had let himself in.

"I didn't think you'd want me too." I mumbled not even looking at him.

"C'mon Dove."

"I was doing what you asked Wade. You needed me to stay away, and I did. I did everything you needed me to do." I said turning to face him.

"And you never let me forget it, Dove! You think I don't remember all those nights, you leaving the house to do god knows what, with god knows who. You don't think it killed me inside knowing the only reason you had to do it was to keep me alive." Wade said and I just shook my head.

"I never blamed you."

"You didn't have to Dove, I did it enough for the both of us. Letting Troy go into those games, letting him be the one to die for you." I just kept shaking my head, I never knew he felt like this.