1 - Be Careful What You Wish For

Ian

      After five thousand years of being alive, you'd imagine I couldn't be surprised by much in this rather predictable world.

       But tonight would be a bittersweet exception.

      When you've been around for this long, dullness becomes a feeling you're forced to endure. The days pass as time blurs, and to be honest I only keep track of my age for entertainment purposes.

      Tonight was probably Friday or Saturday, I could tell by the long line outside the most infamous nightclub in New York City. Humans would often spend hours standing and waiting for a chance to be allowed inside since it wasn't about money at all.

      Well, they had no idea they would be picked by the value of their souls.

      To them, it was all about telling their friends that they were chosen to spend a fun night in the club, and trust me, it didn't take much to make humans interested. They just loved to feel special.

      Exclusivity was a bonus, added to the whole mystery of no phones permitted inside. It was easy to catch their attention and even easier to have access to an abundant supply of souls.

      Of course, I didn't give a fuck about all this and it wasn't my line of work, only lower demons wasted their time buying souls and handling these transactions.

      Which was another reason why my night was bittersweet instead of dull.

      I would never find myself among scum, wasting my precious but secretly expendable time. But once I heard the cryptic voicemail left on my phone earlier today, curiosity got the best of me.

     The saying was self-explanatory: curiosity killed the cat. Thankfully, I was immortal.

        It wasn't every day that I'd get a call from my fellow Council member, who had been M.I.A. for the last decade at least. Not that I was complaining, Callum is the definition of insufferable.

      The fact he reached out to me and asked me to meet him tonight at this club was reason enough to make me wonder where the fuck he had been, and exactly what he was up to.

      What can I say, Hell is just a boring place when the right demons aren't around. And Callum was the opposite of boring.

      I was reaching a life crisis, and it was bad enough that I found myself searching for a thrill in the least likely way. I'd been craving something different... something new, to make things interesting.

       Be careful what you wish for.

      The scent of rain and wet cement was fresh, I could tell a storm was brewing by the sparse lightning in the dark sky.

     I finally made my way to the entrance, ignoring the line as I lit up a cigarette without needing a lighter or matches. The humans around were too distracted to even notice I only used my mind.

      Either they were chatting and sharing pictures of themselves on social media like pathetic losers, or they were too busy thinking about fucking me. I was used to it, my ego always enjoyed a good stroke.