Any help is always welcome

JENNIE

I'm frustrated after seeing pictures of Sehun and Jisoo together at her parents' event. I don't know where I was thinking when I asked Kai to find a way to work as a waiter at that party just so he could send me pictures of Jisoo.

If I was sad before, now I'm frustrated and angry. Okay, I understand the bigger reason they're supposedly together, but that doesn't stop me from feeling jealous.

The doorbell rings and I frown. Rosé didn't tell me she was going to send me food and now I'm afraid to open the door. Did they hire private assassins to kill me?

I take the TV remote to use as a weapon and approach the door slowly, trying to hear anything suspicious.

"Jennie, open the door, I know you're there." A strangely familiar male voice sounds from the other end and now I'm more confused than before. "If you don't let me in, I'll blow everything up."

Still gripping the remote, tighter than before, I slowly open the door to see the young man staring at me. He looks at the controller in my hand and starts to laugh.

"Won't you let me in?" the brunette says with fake irritation and opens his arms for a hug.

"Jungkook?" I hug him tightly. "How did you find me? I mean, I was supposed to be hiding." I say as I walk away from him.

"That's one of the reasons I found you." He smiles widely as he enters and I close the door quickly.

"What? 5 years we haven't seen each other? Where have you been?" I push him to the couch and he throws himself on it, sitting down in a slouching way and I shake my head in disapproval. Men.

"Remember when we were at school, I kept saying I wanted to be an investigator?" Jungkook says while looking at the apartment.

"Yes, honestly, I thought you were just kidding. Can people survive working as a detective?" I say without thinking and he looks back at me with one of his eyebrows raised.

"My "joke" got me into Interpol." Kook opens a wide smile while I am shocked by the information.

"Sorry? I never thought playing detective made a difference in the adult world." I shrug and he laughs.

"I hear you're being charged with murder."

"Yeah..." I sigh and look away.

"I know it wasn't you." I look back at him when I hear him.

"What?!" I frown.

"We have been investigating some companies of a certain group for some time now. Strange things happen around their business and we start to connect the dots, but they are very smart and don't leave loose ends" Jungkook opens another smile "Until now."

"They?"

"Your parents  in-laws." He gives a smirk and I choke "I know you're practically married to the Kim's daughter."

"How do you know? I mean, we're not like that, it's not exactly that, it's just that..."

"Jen, I saw you two together." He winks at me and I feel my cheeks heat up "By the way, you chose a really nice place to hide from them." He puts his feet on the table in the center of the table.

"So when are you going to start telling me why you're here?" I sigh and drop into the chair.

"Aren't you going to offer me any snacks? It took a hell of a lot of work waiting until you were alone." He crosses his arms and pouts, making me roll my eyes. "What's the point of having a Chef friend who doesn't cook for me?"

"Let's go to the kitchen, while I prepare a sandwich and you update me on everything." he jumps up, looking like an excited puppy to get a treat.

"We started investigating them 5 years ago, the last time we saw each other, I was here to get some information about them. At first, our suspects were your girlfriend and her husband." he starts to say as he sits in one of the chairs, on the other side of the counter.

"Jisoo and Haein? Impossible for them to do anything wrong, I mean I haven't met Haein, but from what I've seen everyone saying, the man was extremely honest and transparent in his dealings."

"You're right, he was exactly like that and that's what led to his death." Jungkook says like this is nothing and I get paralyzed.

"What are you saying, Kook?" I swallow hard, trying to refocus on the ingredients for his sandwich.

"Haein was really honest and liked his business in the cleanest way possible, until, we have no idea how, he found out that his parents in-laws were using the smaller companies to make dirt, and when I say dirt, I mean a lot of dirt, Jen." the brunette says seriously and I stare at him.

"What kind of dirt are we talking about?"

"Corruption, blackmail, money laundering, incriminating others, having some people disappear, things like that." he sighs "You'd be surprised what they were able to do as far as we've investigated."

"But what does Haein's death have to do with all this if he didn't participate?"

"That's exactly the point, when he found out, he faced the Kim's, said he would tell his wife and separate the companies, but of course the Kim's wouldn't let him, so, apparently, they had his helicopter sabotage."

"Are you sure about this?" I lower my head, trying not to cry when I imagine how Jisoo will be when she finds out.

"We do, we just can't prove it. Like I told you, they don't leave any loose ends. Whoever they hire to do these kinds of jobs ends up disappearing, disappearing from the map. We don't know if they died or if they changed their name or country." the detective sighs angrily.

"That means Jisoo is in danger..." I say softly, more to myself than to him. My heart starts pounding, thinking of all the tragedies they can do to her.

"Not necessarily, she's smarter than she looks. Her parents still don't suspect anything." I look back at him who is now smiling.

"How do you know that?"

"I have people on the house, all looking for the same thing as Jisoo: the evidence linking her parents to the crimes. They are practically untouchable, protect themselves very well. Our hope is in Jisoo and that's why I came here."

"I found some things in Seungri's apartment, I don't know if they were related, but if you want to check it out." I shrug as I finish assembling his sandwich.

"I know you were there." Kook says without any surprise in his voice "He was one of the "henchmen" of your parentes in-laws, he was the link between bad people and dirty jobs, as if he was a kind of business manager."

"Wow..." I blink a few times, trying to assimilate this "I mean, he was a pain in the ass and there really seemed to be something wrong with him, I just didn't think it would be that much."

"He was perfect for the job, he had connections, he had a reputation that protected him to a certain extent, no one would ever suspect him" I push the plate with the sandwich in front of him who opens a huge smile.

"I still find it all so unbelievable." I pull up a chair and sit facing the hungry man.

"Jen, you were lucky to be framed, because if it wasn't for that, you would be the next to leave the game. The Kim's are aware of your involvement, and they know how dangerous Jensoo's relationship can be for their business." Jungkook says before biting his sandwich and I'm reflecting on his words, feeling a chill go through my body as if something really bad was going to happen.