Serket's Poison

Date Published: August 27th, 2022
Word Count: 7874
A/N: A little exploration into that scene when Merlin comes back from being stung by a serket to Arthur complaining about where he'd been and not believing him when he said had been dying. What if the serket's poison was still affecting him after he'd returned to Camelot?

Merlin tried his best not stumble through the halls of the castle. It had taken a lot of pushing, but after Kilgharrah cast his healing spell, he'd flown him back to the edges of the city. His trek back to the citadel had been slow and agonizing on his back, but he needed to get back to be ready for the attack what was surely being planned by Morgause and Morgana.

The warlock could feel the serket's poison still coursing through his veins. His and Kilgharrah's magic were fighting a war against it. He could feel that they were winning, but it was going to take a while before it was completely cleansed from his body. Time wasn't something Merlin had.

Opening the door to Arthur's chambers, he blinked to adjust to the gloom. The heavy curtains were still drawn and the prince was slumbering soundly.

He rolled his eyes; of course he would be sleeping despite his disappearance. Merlin started toward the window, but his foot made contact with something soft. He looked down at what was one of the prince's numerous cloaks. Now that his gaze was on the floor, he could see the amount things strewn about even in the dark.

With a huff, Merlin yanked the curtains open without mercy. The sunlight streamed in, rousing Arthur as it hit his sleeping face.

"What happened?!" the warlock exclaimed as he took in the state of the room clearly.

As exhausted and shaky he felt on his feet, he moved to start cleaning as the prince woke up fully. "What happened? I've had to make due without a servant, that's what happened," he grumbled accusingly.

Merlin leaned down to pick up on of the articles of clothing on the floor when a massive wave of pain spread through him from where he'd been stung. It made him dizzy as he grasped the tunic and slowly straightened back up. His back did not approve of his actions and continued to throb in protest.

"I wasn't gone for that long," he managed, trying to ignore it.

"Without my permission!" Arthur said.

Struggling a breath in, he glared at him. "What if I was dying?!" he asked, gritting his teeth. He placed a hand on the wall to steady himself.

"I wouldn't be complaining! But you're not, so where have you been?" the blond demanded.

Merlin looked up incredulously. His lungs weren't cooperating with him. His entire body was starting to feel heavy and the edges of his vision were beginning to develop a black haze. Kilgharrah had said the poison was too strong for him; he was starting to regret returning so soon. A shudder racked the warlock's body as tried to speak. "I was... I..." he gasped. "I..."

He felt hot and cold at the same time. Through his fading and blurry vision, Merlin saw Arthur's expression change. He wasn't sure when he started falling, but suddenly he was watching the ceiling as he blacked out.

~~~

As Merlin began to fall, Arthur leapt from his bed. The raven-haired boy had already hit the ground and gone limp. Fear and shock surged through the prince as he reached him. He dropped down to his knees immediately, grasping at his servant. "Merlin? Merlin!" he said, shaking him. Arthur placed his hand on his forehead, his concern growing by the second. His skin was sweaty and burning up under his touch. He was pale, paler than normal. It reminded him of when Merlin had been poisoned; he looked the same now, but worse. His breathing was already shallow and stuttering. Arthur took his face in his hands desperately. "MERLIN!"