Chapter 3

On High School, her father was diagnosed with Tuberculosis, so money was scarce. The farm was lent to others since her father cannot tend it and her parents choose between her and her sister as to whom, should she continue going to high school or her sister in college. Her sister was chosen, and they ask Alym to stop going to school, she feels it's so unfair that she can't continue studying. She didn't agree instead she went to her Aunt and Uncle in faraway places and worked there the whole summer when she came back she have new school items and some money to enroll at school.

1st year of High School was dramatic, she lost 100 pesos, which was a payment for her mother's work. Alam's teacher paid for it so she had it. But when it was time to give it to her Mother, it is missing. Both her parents were furious, they cursed her and told her that she should not have been born because their life is difficult, it was the first time she directly heard it. It was inculcated in her mind and since then her feelings have grown apart from her family. In her mind for 100 pesos, they are cursing her and beating her with a stick and belt, as if that amount was much more important than her. She understood that money was difficult but till that point, she had never imagined those hurtful things.

Her parents supported her sister in college, while she supports herself, by selling different fruits, food, and items she can. To earn money for her school projects and expenses. She's a bright student her parents just don't realize that, when the end of the school year comes, her parents were called both to her sister's school and her school. Her Mom attended to her sister, while her ailing father attended to Alym. 

To their surprise her Mom was called to tell her that if her sister does not make up for her subjects she will surely fail in the semester, they need special projects so she can pass. It was a disappointment for her. When Alam's father got home from her school, he tells the good news, Alym was one of the honors in the school, out of 180 students she was in the top 3. ALym's Mom was surprised and couldn't believe he ears. She feels ashamed of herself for treating Alym that way.