chapter ten

❀ ❀ ❀

L U C Y

THE OFFICE was cold when I sat down in my chair. I shivered and pulled the cardigan tighter over my scrubs. The weekend nurses always kept it cold, no matter how freezing it was outside. Being barely awake in an office was not something I necessarily desired, and I wished more than anything I had been able to curl up in my bed, under my warm blankets with my radiator warming up my room.

But unfortunately, I had to work, because I lived in Brooklyn, and even breathing was expensive.

A stack of papers was sitting in my plastic inbox, most likely patient forms that I needed to sign off on and file away. The weekend at the Wellness Center saw a lot more walk-ins, so Monday was always a heavy paperwork day for me.

The sound of a quick knock on my door brought me back into the world and I looked up, waving my hand to Dr. Banner, to let him know he could come in.

"Morning, Luce." He said. "Brought you a coffee from the breakroom. Cathy just brewed a pot."

I was skeptical but I grabbed the coffee from his outstretched hand. "You're bringing me coffee, you must want something."

He laughed as he sat down on the other chair in the room. The office was meant for two people, but Bruce dedicated it to the senior nurse, and in this case, it was me. Last year, someone else sat at this desk.

"You know me too well. I have to leave early today, personal reasons. I was hoping you wouldn't mind seeing a patient in the afternoon for me. It's her first visit, state mandated. Her legal guardians think she's started to space out a lot and getting panicky. I know they might give you a hard time, but you'd really be doing me a favor." Bruce said.

I waved him off, "Yes, I can sub in for you. If they don't wanna see me, I'll reschedule them. Email me the best time, just in case."

"Ah, thanks, Lucy. I really appreciate it." Bruce said and he stood up. "Alright, have fun with your paperwork today."

"Oh, yay, I am just so excited," I replied sarcastically.

Dr. Banner laughed and said a quick goodbye, shutting my office door on his way out. I took a sip of my coffee and logged onto the computer. I had multiple emails, some complaints, from other nurses about the weekend. There was always some type of drama that I had to sort out. The older ladies were always the worst.

The blinking light on my office phone caught my attention and I stared at it for a second before realizing it was a voicemail. Everyone used email these days, I hardly ever had voicemails on my direct line.