Magic

"Tim, stop. Stop the car." Ashley calmly spoke, and Tim pulled into a parking spot at a bar by the beach.

   "What's wrong? Do you wanna go somewhere else? I can go anywhere, Ash." Tim reached his arm over to touch her shoulder, but she turned to face him.

   "Tell me, do you want to be with Lucy or not?"

***

   When Tim walked out of the station a small smile was evident on his face. But when spotting Ashley his face was twisted to a look of... something else.

   "Hi."

   "Hi," Ashley smiled turning her phone off as she looked up to her boyfriend, "good day?"

   "Yeah, it was ok. Lucy was particularly annoying but." He shrugged.

   "I don't believe that for a second." She smiled as relief fled through her spine. Something about Tim being annoyed at his partner relieved the stress built up about Lucy. Ever since the date, talking about her had put Ashley on edge and sent her into a spiral of thoughts she didn't want to be reminded of.

   "Hey... I know we said Hyatt, but I just found this super cute ShareBnB in Ko Olina... cozier, right? Just the two of us?"

   "That's romantic-... Is- Is that, uh- Is that a new nail color?"

  "Yeah, I just got them done." Ashley gleamed at her nails as he noticed the subtle differences she made. She remembers going to the salon with her best friend and discussing the vacation she and Tim were planning, and she convinced Ashley that a new, classic color was the way to go.

   "Oh. They- They're pretty. Uh...," He stuttered, and his voice became serious, "I'm sorry, Ashley look I need to clear the air about something here. Look the reason Lucy was so annoying today is that, she is convinced that you think I'm taking you to Hawaii to propose, but- You don't- you don't think that, right? C-cause I'm not! I- I mean I think we are magic together but I-" Ashley couldn't handle Tim's sputtering any longer, and leaned forward to put a finger on his lips.

   "Shhhhh," She said with a flutter of her eyelashes, "It's okay."

   She laughed as she backed up a little, "I am not expecting a proposal! I would say no if you asked." Tim's head fell a little, his jaw-dropping in surprise.

   "Don't get me wrong I think we're magic too... but I just... have no interest in ever being married or having kids I'm just... not wired that way." She admitted, looking at the now shock-riddled face. Was this not the future Tim expected with her? She didn't expect Tim to want all of those things, would he?

   "Oh... Okay uh, Great! I-It's a vacation. Look, we're gonna have a great time."

   "Yes, we will." Ashley giggled, feeling the relief of Tim surprisingly not saying a word about the bomb she had dropped on Tim. Maybe he didn't want kids or to get married. She saw Tim's eyes glance to the door behind him, and his smile turned into a small smirk.

   "Hey, will you do me a favor?" He asked.

   "Um, yeah sure. What is it?"

   "Just... say yes, okay? It isn't real." He smiled, as he bent down on one knee. Ashley was shocked and just stared down at him.

   "Just say yes, act excited." He smiled up at her and put his hand out, reaching for her hands. She nodded and opened her arms to envelop Tim in a hug and he held her in the parking lot as he laughed to himself.

   "Ok now get in the car, thanks, Ash. Lucy was standing at the door and I wanted to prank her." He giggled to himself as he opened Ashley's door and then walked to the other side. He sent a small text to someone, probably Lucy, and drove by the door as she looked up at him.

   Lucy's expression was chilling.

   The pain in her eyes would give anyone with feelings a broken heart, like those dog shelter commercials that made little kids break out into tears. She looked stunned as she stood by that door, tears prickling the sides of her eyes and looking for a way to escape. Lucy had always been a happy person when Ashley saw her, but the Lucy behind the glass walls of the station was broken. If Ashley was a normal bystander, she would've thought Lucy was in love with Tim-

   Oh my God.

Lucy must be in love with Tim. Everything clicked into place as Tim got into the highway, driving towards Ashley's favorite restaurant on the beach. Lucy was in love with Tim. Not was, she is in love with Tim. How did she never notice? All the evidence was there right in front of her, Lucy was not very good at hiding her feelings, and as Tim would say, she wears her heart on her sleeve. Lucy's feelings were so obvious! All the subtle hints she had dropped on accident were flooding through her brain. The little touches, the looks, the head tilts challenging Tim as no one else had ever done, the smiles, the laughs, all of it. Everything she did to Tim was something she should've recognized as love.

"Tim, stop. Stop the car." All sounds had been drowned out, the only thing audible being her calm voice.

"What's wrong? Do you wanna go somewhere else? I can go anywhere, Ash."

"Tell me, do you wanna be with Lucy or not?"

The shockwave sent through the car from Tim's chin falling and his eyebrows raising high was the only movement she had felt.

"W-What?... Ashley... Luce and I aren't... Lucy doesn't have feelings for me that- that isn't- No, Ash." Tim stuttered as he stiffened, his hand resting on the wheel as he looked down at his other hand sitting on the center console.

"Did you see her face, Tim? She was crying. Because you proposed to me." Ashley stared out the window, making sure to not look at Tim as he soaked in every word.

"I... Ashley, she just cares about me. We've been through a lot together, and- Y'know what, no. Ashley, Lucy is in another relationship. She is with that Chris guy now. If she was crying for any other reason, she wouldn't be dating other men," Tim sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, "Lucy doesn't have feelings for me and she never will. I don't know why you're bringing this up again! Lucy will only ever think of me as a friend and she was probably crying because she's happy for me. Or because I lied to her and she trusted me and I... I betrayed her trust, God dammit!" He sighed as he put both of his hands on the wheel, gripping it until his knuckles turned white and he shut his eyes tightly.

"Tim, do you realize you haven't denied feelings of your own? Just Lucy's?"

"Well, you didn't ask me how I feel Ashley, so I didn't mention the fact that I don't have feelings for Lucy a- I just don't." He whispered.

"Tim, promise me you don't love her."

"Ashley. I'm with you." His head sunk and he didn't look up at Ashley.

"I think I'm gonna go home, Tim. I just don't think I'm up for a date anymore." She glanced at him, and he kept his eyes shut as he just nodded.

"I'm sorry, Ash."

"I'm sorry too. I didn't think you would be so upset about this."

"I'm not upset- well, I am. But I'm not upset with you. It's not your fault I- I'll talk to you tomorrow." Tim sighed as he got out of the car and stood for a second, thinking before he walked away.

"Ashley, Lucy isn't in love with me. I just don't want you to think she is. I know she isn't, cause she told me a few months ago that she doesn't feel that way. If you don't believe me, you should believe her." He shut the door and walked into the restaurant, hopefully not straight to the bar.

Ashley didn't understand him. How did he know about Lucy's feelings? Did he ask her? Why can't I stop asking myself questions that I don't want to know the answer to?

Ashley drove herself home that night, hoping that Tim did love her because she was starting to love him. How could you not? He was so charming, and charismatic, hell every single one of her friends told her he was hot when she showed them photos of him in uniform. Tim was a catch, but she didn't know how long it would take for him to realize Ashley was too. Ashley was an amazing woman, but how long would she have to feel like she was only the second best one in Tim's heart?