Chapter 8

A/N: S-O-R-R-Y!!!S-O-R-R-Y!!!S-O-R-R-Y!!!S-O-R-R-Y!!!S-O-R-R-Y!!!S-O-R-R-Y!!!S-O-R-R-Y!!!S-O-R-R-Y!!!

~1 New Message~

I groan as I roll over to my side, waking up from my fantabulous nap. Who the hell is waking me up?

Brockette, meet me at River Park at 5 p.m. by the swings. Don't keep me waiting -.-

I glance at the time. 5:19 I almost fall off my bed... Almost. Ughhhhhhh.

I go to my closet and grab some gray cotton shorts and a black t shirt. I quickly throw my hair up in a ponytail and slip on my pair of black Vans. I grab my phone and keys as I race out the door, slightly tripping over air in the sudden rush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Effin finally, I mutter to myself as I see the "River Park" sign. I head over to the playground, searching for Xander. But there's no one there, just a few kids and their mothers. I sigh to myself.

"Nice of you to show up." A voice behind me says.

I turn around and see Xander's face. "Dude, don't do that."

"Do you know what effin time it is?" He asks unamused.

"Passed five?"

"Damn right. Now hurry up, we got places to be." He tells me walking past me.

"I thought we were staying here." I say, confused.

"We're not staying, Brockette."

I follow Xander as we heard east of the park ... Where the hell are we going? This is seriously like stranger danger 101, what the hell was I thinking. I barely know this guy. He could be an axe murderer. From the looks of it, he probably is.

He stops abruptly, I bump into his back, knocking myself on my bum.

"Do you ever pay attention?" He asks sarcastically.

I brush my fingertips over the grass ...

"Why did you bring me to Busted Lake?" I ask him, curiously.

He takes a seat next to me, several inches away. Leaning back on the palms of his hands he stares into the fading sunlight. "You want answers don't you?"

His eyes are a pretty shade of blue right now... Wait, why am I looking at his eyes? "Yes, but why here?"

He bites the bottom of his lip. "It's safer here."

"How?"

"It's safer for people like us."

I jump up, taking several steps back. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

He looks at me seriously. "Latheans are such bad liars."

My heart hurts. I can't breathe, oh god. He knows... HE KNOWS MY SECRET!

"I don't know what you're talking about." I repeat as calmly as I can.

He shakes his head. "You forget that Latheans are good at reading expressions and right now you're scared and shocked. If you think I'm gonna hurt you, you would've already been hurt and if you think I'm gonna tell everyone, you would've moved back to Lathea. Now shut up and sit down. Stop pretending 'cause it's useless."

I stare at him in shock. He knew all along, yet he's kept my secret. What is up with this boy?

I take a seat next to him, acting all normal. "How do you know?"

He turns his head back to the sun's streaks in the sky. "It started when I found you here. You stood there and I knew you were sensing something - me. At first, I thought you were crazy or something, but then I put two and two together and figured you were Lathean. I went home that day and asked my folks if they knew you. They confirmed you were Lathean."