14 - Marie's Pov.

I kept a secret from Louis and I never wanted him to find out.

It was back when I first met him back in London. He was awfully pale and lay in bed all day. At the young age of 8, I had developed my first crush.

The only way for me to stay beside him was as a best friend. I thought my feelings for him would go away but they only grew when my parents told me I would be getting married to him.

It was like a dream come true, I was excited but had to keep it a secret from Louis until my parents revealed it.

After he left London, we weren't able to see each other as frequently due to the duties we had to take on for our people, but that crush was still there.

I remember the time I left home to spend some time with him after he had gone back to Belgium. I lied that it was because I was 'bored of Princess duties and in need of some excitement,' when in reality I missed being around him.

I tried giving subtle hints but he never seemed to see me as more than a best friend. It was heartbreaking but I didn't mind it because we were going to get married soon.

It wasn't until we were walking along the garden in his palace as I apologized for not letting him know beforehand that I started to realize his heart was with someone else.

He looked at the gate and rushed towards it while I followed behind him. I saw a girl who I recognized from my stay in Italy. We had taken pictures together and had pasta. It was a fond memory of mine.

But when I saw the look in his eyes as he gazed into hers, I knew that I could never be in his heart.

He gave her the look I gave him for years and spoke in such a gentle voice to her. I even tried making her jealous, which made me feel dumb - my placing my hand on Louis' arm.

I thought he would let go of her once she found out the truth. But even after she ran out of the palace, he chased after her with evident concern. In my 15 years of knowing Louis, he had never behaved that way over a girl before.

We didn't talk as much before but lately, we barely spoke while preparing for our coronations.

Also, at the ball, his eyes stayed on Kaitlyn the entire night. Even as he and I talked, his eyes were distant, and didn't seem interested in the conversation.

Or maybe that's just how I felt.

I guessed she was the one who danced that night. I saw the love Louis had for her boldly in his pupils as he watched her.

I never had a chance did I? Or maybe if I had told him I liked him in the past, things would have been different for us.

Louis fell to the ground and Kaitlyn screamed his name, running toward him. I couldn't recall the rest of the night because it felt like a blur but Louis was unconscious.

He was soon taken to a hospital and I went to visit him after regaining myself. Kaitlyn stuck to his side, holding onto his hand, and when he woke up they even shared an embrace.

"You should give up on liking Louis." Someone said from behind me. It was Francis.

"What?"

"I know you have feelings for him. He's an idiot who didn't realize it but he's happy with someone else. You should let go of him now."

"How dare you tell me what to do? What's it to you? Why do you care if I like Louis and why can't I? Why do I have to give up and let go of him?"

"You refused to tell him for 15 years, Marie. 15 years. Maybe something would've worked out between you two if you did, but I'm glad you didn't."

"Excuse me?"I scoffed. My eyes began to water. I couldn't cry on my second day of being Queen. I was supposed to be happy and getting married to Louis today.

"We're getting married."

"Do you really think so?" He gestured with his chin and I saw Kaitlyn place a hand on his cheek, the two of them gazing into each other's eyes.

"Just allow them to be happy Marie. You should focus your attention away from those two and toward someone who cares even more for you."

A teardrop fell from my eyes as I stared at him.

"I guess we're both idiots for not confessing our feelings early." He chuckled.

"I like you, Marie. I've liked you since the day you came to Belgium to see Louis. Every single day not wavering. I know you don't feel the same and are not in the place to have feelings for someone else. I mean you just had your heart broken properly."

I gave him a look and he winced. "Sorry. But I mean what I'm saying. I was a coward for not telling you and I'm still a coward for only letting you know after you found out that he likes someone else. I don't want an answer from you right now but I think the two of us can find our own happiness sometime soon. And I'll give you all the time you need to come around and get your feelings in check. I just want you to know I like you and I'll be waiting for you." He smiled at me and there were two dimples on his cheeks.

Has he always had dimples? I never noticed.

Was I only fixated on the crush I had when I was 8? Did I really like him in the present or was it the past affection that built up because we had grown up together? I didn't know the answers to those questions in my head.

But one more look at Louis and Kaitlyn and I knew Francis was right. I had to let him go for his happiness.

I couldn't despise him just cause he didn't feel the same way that I did. I had to be happy for him.

And maybe what he said was true. Maybe I can find happiness someday. I had already lost Louis as a potential lover, I wouldn't want to lose my friend too.

I looked at Francis and wiped my cheeks, a smile forming on my face.

Fun Fact: The world's longest concert lasted 453 hours.

Well, if it's a Bangtan Sonyeondan concert, I wouldn't mind having to stay that long.