016┆chapter sixteen

USE SOMEBODY

USE SOMEBODY

sixteen.       jake

▬▬ CASSIE HAD FALLEN back asleep not long after the guys left for the battle with the newborns, it was to be expected. It was early and since she and Paul had indeed spent most of the night not sleeping, it wasn't a shock to Emily when the teenager laid out on the couch and passed out. Emily had simply cleaned up, then pulled a blanket over the sleeping girl before making her way up the stairs to check on her niece, who was sitting up in Sam and Emily's bed as she rubbed her eyes and yawned.

"Good morning, Bug." Emily smiled, getting the girl's attention and she looked over at her aunt, a sleepy smile pulling at her lips. "You ready for breakfast?"

Claire nodded, climbing off the bed. "Where's Uncle Sam?" She mumbled, her arms extended up towards the woman.

"He had some. . . business in town." She told her, lifting her up off the ground. "He'll be back later and we'll do something fun, just the three of us. You good with that?"

"Yeah." She nodded, laying her head against her aunt's shoulder as the woman started out of the room and down the stairs. She sat up when Emily stepped off the bottom step, her sleepy, brown eyes scanning the room. "Cassie." She smiled at the sight of her favorite person.

"No, Bug, Cassie's sleeping." Emily told her, carrying her to the table. "She didn't sleep much last night."

"Well, Paul talks a lot." Claire mumbled, making the woman laugh as she sat her in one of the chairs at the table.

"You sit, I'll fix you a plate." She kissed the kids head then made her way into the kitchen. She took the plastic Tupperware bowl from the fridge and put it in the microwave long enough to heat it up before she pulled it out and fixed Claire, herself and even Cassie a plate. She put Claire's plate in front of her, placing her plate next to the girl before she walked over to Cassie.

"I thought you said she was tired."

"She is, but Cassie likes food." Emily hummed, leaning over the couch and shaking the girl's shoulder. "Cas, hey, there's food in here. Claire's up."