The Arrival

John found himself at the quiet place. He had discovered it when he first arrived and was finally well enough to wander about. It was on the outskirts of the village, elevated just enough to give an expansive overview of the peaceful valley floor. It was a rocky point where the foliage hadn't a chance to take hold. The rocks were too numerous, too smooth and moss covered but because of that, did provide some surprisingly comfortable seating where he would contemplate life and how it was turning out so far. He stood there looking out, his head lowered as he let out an involuntary sigh. 

It was impossible to do anything but consider the enormity of what lay before him. What was at stake for him, for Em, his friends- everyone. Literally everyone on the planet. What would a world dominated by these evil creatures be like? There was no way to even imagine it, but he knew that everything he held dear would certainly be ruined. It was no longer a choice of whether to do something or not. It was not an option to ignore it and go back to the way things were no matter how much he wished it so. There was no hiding anywhere. Anywhere. It struck him that he would give anything to go back, back to when his biggest worry was making the rent by the first or who was going to pony up for the next round at the Red Witch. He would have done anything to have this crushing weight taken from him. 

He looked up. In moments of need even non-believers instinctively look up.

"I don't know how to pray," he said, shaking his head. "I never really learned. Sorry. But I could use some help here." 

He shifted his weight from one leg to the other and kicked a few pebbles off the edge.

"Apparently you have this law, believing, the law of believing. Apparently, I'm rather good at it. According to some people, very good at it. I don't get it; it just strikes me as common sense. It's always been a coping mechanism, just a tool for getting me through life. Nothing more. Surely there has to be somebody else that's as good no, better! - than me that could do this job. Why do you need me, why do you need my toolbox?! I don't want to do this!" he yelled. 

"So, if there is any other way to...fix all this...well," he paused looking for the right words. "It'd be great if you could let me know... Uh, Amen."

"Amen," Em echoed, standing only ten feet behind. John smiled sheepishly.

"Well, how long have you been standing there while I was talking to myself like a crazy person?"

"You mean when you were praying- what any sane person would do in this situation. Get any answers?"

"Not a one."

"You know they're gonna turn tail and run at the first big Neph that shows his ugly face, right?"

"The villagers? Yeah. Yeah, I do. But that's OK. I just need them to create a distraction, to give the Nephs the idea that there are thousands of warriors, just out of sight, waiting for them. We've got to keep them in that open field just long enough."

"Sister, huh?" Em asked.

"Shut up." John rolled his eyes. Em laughed that wonderful laugh that John found irresistible. John grabbed her by the sleeve, pulled her in and kissed her.

"I had very good reasons to believe that you know." 

He continued to hold her in tight against him. 

"I hope you have some appreciation for the amount of restraint exhibited in the presence of such extreme hotness."

"Thank you, compliment noted. Well, so many things make sense now." she said with a bit of relief in her voice. "I mean, you had me ready to enroll in self-esteem classes after that little... you know...at the Westin?" John feigned ignorance.