chapter 14 | Soothing me

"Do you love him?"

This question triggers some suffering, and I shake my head but feel some tears escape my eyes. "But he will never accept that, right?" he knows everything, and I confirm, against my will. "Listen, I can help you, I can get you out of this, but we need to do this together, or I can't do anything, sweetheart, and you know how much I hate that."

I keep my head down, not knowing what to say. "If he ever hurt you again, you need to take pictures of the bruises. I know that the ones I saw on your arm and thighs aren't caused by some falls or accidents, I know it's him, and I know how this works, so you need to take pictures, try to record him when he is being violent towards you, and after having all those, you come up to me, and I'll take care of the rest. Alright?"

I shake my head, sobbing and hating what I hear. "I know you're going to try to send him to jail, but I don't want this to happen...I just want him to get help and change who he became because of me..."

"No. He did not become a bad person because of you. He was a bad person way before meeting you, but he only showed himself once you were deeply in love with him because he knew he would have all the control and be able to manipulate you into thinking that you're the one in the wrong, no matter what he does," he speaks what I am never capable of believing. "And I know that deep down, you're still attached to him, in a certain way, you still love him, and that's the reason why you wouldn't want anything wrong to happen to him, but he doesn't deserve your love or care anymore. He hurt you, so he doesn't deserve anything good from you anymore. A man or woman who truly loves someone will never hurt them in any way. And I don't want anyone to hurt you anymore...You mean the world to me."

He is right, but I wish he was not. I just want to be strong enough to leave him and take my baby to safety, but I feel so ashamed, and I do not know if he will not become like Sookyung in the future.

"How could I mean so much to you?" I glance up at him. "I'm nothing but a sort of toy that men pay—"

"You're a woman," he cuts me off. "You're a woman to me, and I care about you more than I care about anyone else in my life, and you can not believe me if you don't want to, but that won't change the truth," he lets me decide whether I trust his words or not. "And you know, I could tell you the same. Why did you miss me so much when I'm just a client among the others? Why do you want me to stay with you? I could ask you so many questions as well and believe the opposite of what you tell me, but I know you're honest, and I don't want to believe otherwise when you tell me that I make you feel good and that I am an amazing man."

I stay quiet, keeping to myself the fact that I like him. I cannot tell him that. He cannot know.

"I feel the exact same way about you. You make me feel good, you're a beautiful and amazing woman who deserves much better than what she gets," he causes even more tears to roll down my face, and I lower my eyes, but he wipes those beads of water off my skin, and his soft and warm lips press a gentle, genuine kiss full of care on my cheekbone. His arms embrace me, and he puts one hand behind my head. "I always want you close to me as well, and I did not leave because I didn't want to see you, because I didn't miss you, or didn't care, but I can't stand to witness all of this and not be able to do anything to save you. And I don't want you to feel like you're at fault, if I feel that way, it's only because of him and what he does to you, what all those men do to you."

He always finds the right words to say in order to reassure me.

"You know you can talk to me about what happened last night, hm?" he pats my head, his touches settling my body with some wonderful peacefulness. The thought of the texts I sent him after the incident comes back to my mind, and I gulp down, remembering all the things that happened and wishing that was nothing but a nightmare. "He was just upset. It's not bad..." I lie to him, not having the will to tell him Sookyung slapped me again and was much more brutal with me after getting drunk.