chapter 17 | Watercolor

Someone knocking on the front door of the house startles me, but I do not move, Sookyung does and heads towards it to check who is here while I am continuing what I started.

"Hello," Sookyung opens the door, but as soon as I hear the voice of the other person, my body reacts to it, and my heart skips a beat. "Hello, may I talk to y/n?" Mister Jeon asks for me, and he proves me wrong. I would not have expected him to do this only for me. "She's not here today, why?"

I turn my head to look for Jun, making sure he is hiding as his father told us both to do, and I see him stare at me while holding his plushie against his body, staying right in front of the sofa of which the back is turned towards the door.

This pains me so much to see him like this.

"She's not here? Where is she then? Cherry told me she hasn't gone to work for more than a week which is unusual from her," he persists, not believing what he is hearing from my boyfriend. "She's in Hawaii. Why are being so obsessed with her? She's my girlfriend, so you mind your own fucking business and stop prying into our life and harassing her."

"Harassing her?" he chuckles, not wavering in front of him. "I'm just making sure she's alright because I know what type of guy you are, so I will pry into your life if I want to."

"Listen, either you leave us alone, or I fucking make you do it. Alright?" he starts to lose his patience in front of Mister Jeon who does not keep quiet. "She doesn't give a fuck about you, and you should get that in your head, motherfucker. If you think she ever gave a shit about you as if you were a special client, you're the most naive guy, and you're a dumbfuck for believing that a sex worker would feel any emotion for an asshole who comes and gets drunk while watching half naked girls walk around all night long," he emphasizes all his words to hurt him, and I feel the pain inside of me. None of that is true.

"Sure," he replies. "I'll come back, and I can assure you that you'll regret this," he walks away, and Sookyung does not wait before slamming the door. I take the bowl filled with a mashed banana and cookies made for babies, and I get the bottle to turn around to move towards Jun. "You must be happy, aren't you?" Sookyung makes me stop myself and look up at him. "This asshole came here just to see and save one of his sluts," he does not care about Jun who hears all those words that a child should not even hear.

I do not let this affect me but move forward, and I head to Jun. I sit down on the sofa, and he stands up to come close and climbs onto my lap. Knowing Sookyung is eating the rest of his meal, I take Jun's pacifier out of his mouth and feed him while he is cuddling me. "Tell me if you want something else, okay?" I speak in a low voice to him, and he nods but eats what I prepared for him. He seems to like it, so I am happy.

I press a kiss on his head, his small body never letting go of me, I hold him close and give him another spoon.

•••

6 pm.

The silence filling the entire room, I look at my baby playing with his toy, sitting on my lap as we are both being soothed by the rocking chair we are on. He snuggles up against me with his head on my chest, sucking on his pacifier.

I never stop the movement of the chair but enjoy this moment with him, feeling like everything in my head is trying to fight against the peacefulness of this. I bring my eyes down to Jun once he rubs my hand with his tiny fingers, and he gazes up at me. He turns and directs his body towards mine, and he hugs me. He takes his pacifier out of his mouth and holds it against his lips to toy with it.  "Was daddy angry with you?" he confirms my worst fear. He has not forgotten after sleeping. He still remembers what he saw last night.