chapter 26 | Addiction

"I...The reason why your hands shake so much sometimes...Is it because of...alcohol?" I dare to question him about what has been worrying me a lot, but he averts his eyes from me as if this had triggered some discomfort. "Y/n. What you heard from him isn't true," he does not answer my question the right way, dodging the main matter.

"But your hands..." I do not change of subject, feeling the need to know the truth, and he stops what he is doing. He throws the soaked paper towel out, and lays his hands down on the counter. "It's all in the past. I recovered long ago. I dealt with that after the divorce with my wife, then I stopped."

"Why do your hands still shake so much then...?" I pray for him to not get upset at me for asking so many questions. I am just concerned. "I still drink alcohol but only the right amount, the shaking is mainly caused by my smoking addiction,...That's all. I don't want you to be scared of me," he looks into my eyes, seeming deeply affected by this. "I won't ever get drunk with you or Jun around. All of that happened when I was alone and didn't care about myself anymore...but you know what happened, I got better and started a new life."

I stare at him, those words sounding so familiar.

"Y/n..." he directs his body towards mine, showing some nervousness, fear for the first time. "You're not going to see me differently because of that, right? You know he did it on purpose. He doesn't know me anymore, so he doesn't know that I'm better now."

Without saying anything, I step towards him and wrap my arms around him. "I trust you."

He hugs me back, tightly, his touches and embrace exposing a lot of emotional distress. "I would never do this type of thing to you and your baby, y/n. I promise you'll never have to face this with me. I love you both way too much."

"We love you too, and I'll be here to help you go through this too," I close my eyes and relax in his arms. His fingers run through my hair, my body and mind finally finding some peacefulness, he rubs the nape of my neck, and I raise my chin up. I stand on my tiptoes to press a kiss on his lips, and we both stare at each other. He plays with my hair in the back of my head, and he kisses me again.

— Next day —

Saturday, October 2nd, 2021.

10 am.

I follow the officer after leaving Jungkook and my baby in the waiting room, and he leads me to the interrogation room. This is intimidating, I feel so uncomfortable and unsafe.

The man before me opens a door, and he lets me go in first, but someone is already there, sitting at the table. "Good morning, Miss Choi," he greets me, and I bow to him. "Good morning."

"You can sit over here," he points at the chair in front of him, and the other officer sits by his side, so I get on the chair that faces them at the other side of the table.

"So, before we start this interview, let me explain to you what is going to happen," he closes the file that was exposed, and I listen. "We are going to ask you a couple of questions, some of them might make you uncomfortable, but we are only here to obtain as much information as possible from your point of view as the victim and my co-worker here will faithfully transcribe everything you say for a report. You have the right to refuse to answer us, but telling us the truth will only benefit you and the charges you pressed on Mister Sang. Okay?"

"Okay," I nod, not saying more than that. "Perfect, let's start then," he reopens the file, and I grab my hands. "Can you tell us your full name, how old you are, and when your birth date is?"