Chapter One

"Hey there, Pine Tree!" Bill Cipher's cheery voice echoed, but could not be seen. Dipper Pines glanced around at his surroundings. He was back in the attic of the Mystery Shack. Everything was the same as he had left it. However, something felt off. Looking to the triangular window, Dipper saw it grow an eye and form into the Dream Demon that harassed the seventeen year old every night. "Miss me?"

Stumbling back ever so slightly, the Pines twin glared at the triangular-shaped being in front of him. "What do you want Bill?" Dipper's voice asked in a tone a lot more confident than he felt. His stance shifted nervously, and a wave of nausea fell over him.

"Oh, kid. We've been doing this for what? Five human years?" Cipher mocked. "Aren't you supposed to be the intelligent one? Unlike Shooting Star, sleeping peacefully." Dipper's hands formed into fists as the demon teased he and his sister.

"Bill. What. Do. You. Want?" Dipper asked forcefully, although a slight twinge of fear could be heard under the words. The Dream Demon floated closer to him before giving his iconic laugh. He stepped back once again, trying to will himself out of the nightmare befalling him.

"You really are like all the other meat bags, Pine Tree." Bill said threateningly, before leaning in close. His one hand lit up into a blue flame. "It's not what I want. It's what you want. Good news for you kid, a deal with me is all it takes!"

Dipper woke up with a jolt, the last thing he saw from the dream was Bill tipping his top hat and laughing as he disappeared. He wasn't in Oregon anymore. Instead, he found himself lying in his bed surrounded by a pile of books. Checking the alarm clock beside him, the twin discovered it was only three AM.

With a groan, Dipper leaped out of the top bunk, quietly landing on the floor. Careful not to wake Mabel, who was snoring in the bottom bunk, he crept out of their bedroom. The twin sneaked down the stairs, grabbing a Pit Soda from the fridge before going outside for some air.

Dipper's sleep schedule was terrible, it was normal for him nowadays to only get bits of sleep here and there. Like always, Bill played to his wants. Most nights he would bargain with adventure, and a second chance to take his Great Uncle Ford's offer. That night, however, Bill seemed to know there was something else Dipper wanted. Or something the Pines twin would want in the near future, anyhow.

"Peek-a-boo!" Mabel's voice shrilled as she surprised her sibling. The other twin sat down next to Dipper and took a sip of his soda. She gave him a slight nudge to the shoulder before her expression turned into one of concern. "Did he come back?"

Dipper nodded, looking away. As far as she knew, Bill only came every so often. Not every night. He felt Mabel's arm go around his shoulder, and he leaned in. Exhaustion was finally catching up to him.

"What did he do this time?" Mabel asked, her other hand forming into a fist. She was mad that, despite his death, Bill still haunted her brother. Even if it all seemed to be in Dipper's head, or at least she hoped it was, the dream demon still wore down on her twin.

"Just another deal, like always." Dipper answered, his voice faltering. Yes, Bill still tried to bargain with him but the demon filled his mind with horrible reminders with the past as well. "Hey, uh, Mabel? Wanna awkward sibling hug?" He asked, wanting to go back to a time when everything was okay, just for a moment.

Mabel flung her arms around him, and the two twins embraced. In sync, they stiffly stated, "Pat pat." Each giving the other two light thumps on the back. Dipper immersed himself into the hug, a feeling of warmth spreading throughout him. However a slight coldness followed, as if the hug wasn't the same somehow. As they brought the hug to an end, Mabel erupted into a pile of undignified chortles.