Chapter 1

Being a cop wasn't easy, but it sure beat roaming the streets of Sokovia and seeing all of the devastated people, or hiding in the United States just waiting to be deported. Wanda Maximoff wanted to help people, but that wasn't the only reason she became a cop. Being in law enforcement meant that she was less likely to get caught on her own little secret.

Wanda hadn't had any really interesting things to do on the job yet, mostly because Westview was a quiet town with minimal crime. But there was one thing off about that place: the mastermind criminal known by the name Agnes. Wanda had a feeling that wasn't her real name. Agnes had robbed almost every bank in Northern New Jersey, impersonated the mayor, proceeded to steal all of the mayor's money, and used it to buy and sell drugs at a party with fifteen different CEOs. She was on every Wanted poster in town, but somehow nobody could ever catch her.

Not yet.

Wanda received a call from her boss one morning that informed her that the power was out in the entire neighborhood. There wasn't a storm or any issue with the electrical company, and Wanda was chosen to go investigate, since she lived in said neighborhood.

The decision to walk rather than drive was an easy one. Wanda's neighborhood was small, and she could ask her neighbors if they had seen anything unusual that morning.

Nobody saw anything. As Wanda continued to walk to the outskirts of Westview, the crowds diminished. Nobody could be seen past Ellis Avenue.

As Wanda walked along the side of the road, she began to speculate about the electricity issue herself. The only conclusion she arrived at was an unpleasant one: Agnes. But why would Agnes do such a thing? What was her goal?

In hindsight, Wanda shouldn't have wished to know. Because her wish came true soon enough.