Chapter 4

"Ah, we're finally out of Jersey," Agatha sighed and Wanda couldn't help but catch the hint of a smile on her face. A real smile, for once.

"And why is that a good thing?" Wanda asked, finding herself genuinely curious.

"Because here, I can actually show my face without being chased by the police."

"Nobody here knows you're a criminal," Wanda realized.

"Exactly! So you know what I'm going to do?"

"If you say you're going to break the law–"

"I'm going to break the law!" Agatha did a fake wicked witch laugh that was too accurate as she merged off of the highway.

The middle of a forest wasn't the best place to park a school bus, so naturally it was the "perfect" spot that Agatha chose to park it in. With her combat boots and skinny jeans, Agatha had no trouble walking through the vines and grasses. The same couldn't be said for Wanda in her cable knit sweater dress.

"Who doesn't love two a.m. shopping?" Agatha asked as she stopped walking. Wanda was confused at first by the statement, but soon figured out why when she saw that Agatha had stopped in front of a huge department store.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Come along, dear." Agatha took Wanda's hand and rushed into the store, using a bobby pin to pick the lock on the back door. Even in doing so, Agatha didn't let go of Wanda's hand. Either she wanted a lock-picking challenge or she didn't want Wanda to run away at the first chance she got.

"Now, this is why the Darkhold is important," Agatha pulled up a photo on her phone. "We need to recreate Circe and Styx's style choices."

Wanda wasn't impressed by what Agatha was showing her. "They look like peasants in cloaks."

"In the future, people will say the same thing about your outfit."

"I'm just saying that we're not going into the White House wearing that."

"Yes we are."

"No we're not."

"Can you find something better?"

Wanda smirked. "Give me ten minutes."

When Wanda returned to the front of the store, she had a cart full of clothes. For her outfit, she picked out a simple red frock, a black turtleneck, black knee-high boots, and an orange belt. Agatha seemed like a purple girl, so Wanda had picked up a purple button down along with the black slacks and blue cloak for Agatha, because she wanted to see if Agatha would actually wear a cloak in public.

"Oh wait–one more thing." Wanda fished through the pile of clothes to get the necklace and held it up in front of Agatha. It was dark except for the white S in the middle of the pendant. She placed it in Agatha's hand. "There you go, Styx."

Agatha put the necklace on and smiled at Wanda. "How does it look?"

Wanda studied Agatha's appearance for an exaggerated amount of time, just to make Agatha wait. Eventually she said, "it's alright," and shoved the rest of the clothes into a backpack before walking towards the door.

Agatha followed in her purple backpack that was filled with who-knows-what and hopped into the bus.

Wanda tapped her fingers on the seat, eager to leave because she didn't want to get caught stealing. "What's taking so long?"

Agatha laughed nervously, seeming more unsure than ever since Wanda met her. "This old guy must be napping." She patted the steering wheel of the bus.

"You mean the car won't start? And we're stuck here?" Wanda asked with dread.

"I mean," Agatha got out and opened her backpack to reveal bags upon bags of candy. "We're having a picnic here."