Chapter 1 (Tessa)

"So, baby, what do you feel like doing for the rest of the day?" Hardin asks as he tucks my hair behind my ear

"Can't we just stay here all day? It's such a beautiful day!" I chirp before I take another bite of my sandwich while admiring the view of the park from our picnic blanket.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt to stay a bit longer." He chuckles. "The view is amazing."

"It really is! You picked the perfect spot for our picnic." I smile at him.

"I wasn't talking about the park," he says as he gently caresses my cheek and leans in for a kiss.

"Rise and shine!" Emma chirps from her side of the dorm room.

"Five more minutes!" I groan before covering my face with my blanket.

"What? It's the first day of the new school year! Since when does Tessa Young not care about being late?"

"Since I was about to finally kiss him!" I whine.

"Kiss him? Who? Wait... Were you dreaming about that guy again?" Emma teases.

"Yes." I blush. "And he was about to finally kiss me before you woke me up!"

"Oops." She giggles. "Sorry."

"Me, too." I pout.

"Did you at least finally see his face?"

"Nope. He's still a complete mystery to me. But what's it matter? It's not like he's actually a real person. He's just a figment of my lovesick imagination." I sigh.

"Still, that's more action than I've gotten all summer." Emma laughs.

"Well, I guess I better go get ready. Maybe today will be the day I meet a real guy— one who actually exists in this world."

I rush to get ready for my first class, but still manage to put a little extra effort into my hair and make up. I'm not one of those girls who cares about her appearance too much, but since I started having those dreams, I secretly hope to meet the man of my dreams. A little extra effort wouldn't kill me.

"Wow, you look hot, Tessa!"

"You think so? Thanks!"

"Are you hoping to run into a certain dream guy?"

"What? No! He's not real! I know he isn't. I'd have to be crazy to even think that!"

"You really don't believe in any of that, do you?"

"Any of what?"

"Soulmates. Fate. Destiny."

"No, I don't. What educated person would?"

"So, you're saying you've been having dreams about the same guy almost every night this summer and it means absolutely nothing?"

"Exactly."

"That usually doesn't happen to people, you know."

"Well, I did eat a lot of pizza this summer. You're supposed to have weird dreams if you eat pizza before bed." I shrug.

"That's a better explanation than him being your soulmate?" Emma laughs.

"I... Just come on! We're going to be late!" I groan as I pull Emma out the door with me.