Chapter 16 (Hardin)

I gently tuck Tessa's hair behind her ear, cup her cheek and kiss her, right in the middle of the campus cafe.

"Wh-what was that for?" she asks, a little flustered.

"I haven't done that since Saturday night. I needed my Tessa fix." I smile, proud of my corny remark.

"You're such a smooth talker!" She playfully hits me and I couldn't love anything more.

"Well, if it isn't my favourite way to pass a lonely night," the most dreadful voice says. Molly. She strolls up to us with the biggest smirk on her face, along with a tray full of food. I just know she's up to something completely cruel and evil. "Oh, hi, T-Tessa. I almost didn't see you there." She cackles.

"Fuck off, Molly," I snap. I know I need to get rid of her as soon as possible, before she tries to do anything to Tessa again.

"Maybe you could help me with that." She reaches one of her hands over and starts running it through my hair before I move out of the way.

The way she touches me completely disgusts me. I don't know what I ever saw in her. "I mean it, Molly," I say angrily.

"Don't tell me you are actually serious about being with her," Molly scoffs.

"Excuse me? I have a name," Tessa says while glaring at Molly. This is not going to end well.

"Yeah. T-Tessa," she mocks.

I know I have to do something... and quick. "Actually, I just call her my girlfriend," I say proudly as I wrap my arm around Tessa. Hopefully Molly will finally get the damn message.

"What?" Molly's mouth falls open— something I used to love, but now I shudder when I recall all those times I used to fuck her. "But you don't date."

"I do when it's the right person. And Tess is the right person." I turn and smile at Tessa, hoping Molly finally shuts the fuck up.

"Okay." Molly shrugs and starts to walk past us. I'm thankful she's finally gotten the message, but part of me thinks it was too easy. Just as I'm about to say something to Tessa, Molly purposely tosses her tray of food all over her. "Oops." She smirks and walks away as everyone in the room starts to laugh at Tessa.

"Tess!" I shout in shock. I knew as soon as Molly came within a foot of us, I should have gotten Tessa out of the cafe. My heart breaks in two as I look at Tessa and watch as Molly's lunch drips down her hair and clothes. I continue to look at her and then at the room full of people laughing at her. She looks absolutely mortified. "Tess? Please, say something," I beg.

"Tessa? Are you okay?" I hear Emma ask.

Tessa doesn't say anything and instead she immediately gets up and runs out of the cafe.

"I can't believe Molly just did that!" I shout as I slam my fist down on the lunch table. "I-I have to make sure Tessa's okay," I say as I start to panic.

"No, Hardin." Emma stops me. "I'll go," she says before getting up and leaving to find Tessa.

"That was hard to watch." Nate sympathetically shakes his head. "You really have to do something about Molly. Tessa doesn't deserve that."

"Don't you think I know that?!" I shout and the whole room starts to stare at me. This time the only difference is that unlike Tessa, I don't give a shit. I immediately get up and rush after Molly. When I catch up to her, I grab her arm and turn her to look at me.

"Who the f— Oh, it's you." She smirks. "I knew you couldn't stay away."

"You're the one who is going to stay away! Don't ever come near Tessa again," I warn.