chapter one

■  ■  ■  ■

Oct. 16, 1995

To say Diya Eric was hyperventilating would be an understatement; no, she was full blown gasping for air. Even that was a huge understatement. She felt like she was dying but couldn't determine if it was from being out of breath or her heart about to explode out of her chest.

"Okay..." She looked around the room she was in as she tried to calm herself; which felt nearly impossible. The room looked almost identical to her own but built for the 90s. Her posters that scattered her room had all changed to older ones. Some of her rock or pop music posters now had Metallica and Madonna on them. Her bluetooth speaker changed to a cassette player while her brand new camera changed to an old Polaroid camera.

And her old Scream poster had changed into one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre posters... No more looking at Stu or facial-haired Billy anymore. Even her live action Scooby-Doo poster changed to the cartoon version.

Before she could scan anymore, her bedroom door opened to reveal a nintey-fied version of her mother, "Diya, make sure you're getting ready for your first day." Her mother looked over Diya's face before her own became concerned, "Dee, are you alright?"

Diya stopped looking her mom up and down before straightening herself out, "Yeah, I'm just --"She thought for a second, trying to think of a proper excuse, "-- nervous? Yeah, really nervous." The smile she slapped on her face almost was unconvincing, but this was a 90s horror movie, so her mother didn't notice.

"I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll make lots of friends, just like in Arizona, okay?"

"Okay."

"Also, I'll be out of town for the next week for business, so make sure you lock up when you leave, okay?"

This caught Diya's attention. "Sure."

"Okay, now get dressed. You don't want to be late for your first day."

First day?

"What's today, by chance? I'm super tired and can't remember," Diya lied. Her Mother gave her an "are you serious" look before crossing her arms.

"You're serious?" Her mother looked over her daughter's face before sighing in defeat, "October Sixteenth."

"Year?"

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

"Ugh," her mother groaned as she pinched the bridge of her nose, "1995."

An arrow shot through Diya's heart as she put the date together. It was after Sidney's mother was murdered by the two killers. So, her plan seemed to already be in motion.

“Was that all? Cause you need to get dressed!”

“Yeah… Thank you, Mom,” Diya replied before her mother left her room, giving her some time to think and get ready.